Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Surfing the Human Wave: Vicky Bastedo's Roots Entwine

As you may have guessed, I'm still struggling to get back on my normal reviewing schedule. Today, though, I finally finished the ARC of Roots Entwine that Vicky Bastedo was kind enough to send me, and while the book has not yet been officially released and may undergo some changes between now and then, I do have some preliminary thoughts.

Roots Entwine is a fantasy bildungsroman in which the sheltered teenaged protagonist is recruited for a quest and, along the way, learns more about the world in which he lives and about the contours of his own peculiar gifts. The main character, Joaquin, possesses the magical ability to enhance his own senses to the point that he can hear a man's heart beating even at great distances, but because he is young and has not yet learned discipline, said ability is often disruptive and disabling rather than a source of strength. 

The novel is primarily written from Joaquin's perspective, which brings with it a few common downsides. Unfortunately, the adult characters are rather under-developed. We are told several times, for example, that the elders of Joaquin's home clan love him dearly -- but that doesn't square with their years-long refusal to acknowledge Joaquin's existence in public. We also see Joaquin's travel companions become intensely protective and fiercely loyal to the boy -- but the text doesn't really provide solid reasons for this affection beyond a few scattered fragments of exposition. On the whole, many characters behave in ways that, to me, just don't have sufficient psychological justification. People - including strangers - warm to Joaquin simply because he's the hero, darn it, and that's the way it has to be.

Bastedo's magic system, however, has promise. I like that Phoshat has a price; imposing that sort of limitation forces the characters to rely on more than just magic to get out of trouble and accomplish their goals. I also feel that the characterization of Joaquin himself is likely to resonate with young readers who are neurologically atypical. Children and teens with sensory processing or autism spectrum disorders will no doubt relate to Joaquin's difficulties navigating - and tolerating - a busy town marketplace -- and with Joaquin's longing to be accepted as he is.

As noted, Roots Entwine hasn't been released by its publisher, so I do not have a direct Amazon link. I do, however, have a link to the imprint in question, so if anything I've said here piques your interest, feel free to visit the publisher's website and keep an eye out. I myself am curious to see if some of the criticisms I shared above are addressed in the final version.

Final Verdict: Recommended, But With Notes

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I tried to leave a comment, but I think I guessed wrong with the security question. It was either and 'I' or a '1'. Well, thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a wonderful story, but think Stephanie is coming from a female point of view, and doesn't realize the ease with which men bond. Excitement, adventure, any small group of men/boys becomes loyal to the mission, and the older men all definitely have a hidden agenda, and had clearly worked together as a team before. The creativity behind the story was eloquently expressed and written with beauty and sadness combining adventure. My favorite surprise... the ending. Did not expect that! Well done Ms. Bastedo. Deb DuBois, author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny...my co-author is pretty atypical for a female (writing gender tests have demonstrated this)...I don't think the issue is "coming at this from a female point of view"...I think the issue is coming at this from the point of view of someone with social anxiety and shyness.

      I do think you're right that men will bond quickly...and don't require deep psychological reasons for doing so...but I am also thinking that if the author spent a great deal of time "TELLING" us that the boy was loved by his clan..that's a bad sign. Show, don't tell, is the common adage. Show the actions they take that demonstrate their affection and loyalty. Put them through things that help them bond, etc.

      I haven't had the chance to read it, so I'm going off of what was said in each perspective. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing your perspective, Deb! As always, these reviews come with the tag "your mileage may vary." Because we all have different experiences and different personalities, we're all going to respond a little differently to each book. ;)

      Delete
    3. And by the way, SABR Matt: Vicky does show through the main supporting characters' actions that they've bonded to the boy. The trouble, for me, is how quickly it happens -- especially for the gentleman who has personal reasons for being suspicious of a Phoshat. Those feelings of betrayal and distrust, in my opinion, should've been harder to overcome.

      But again: YMMV.

      Delete