Friday, September 18, 2009

Classics: DS9 1:2 - Past Prologue - Response

My only beef with my co-author would be on the acting front. I didn't buy Tahna...I know it's tough for a young series to get quality one-time-only guest stars (though DS9 had some real gems in the first season who kind of forced their way into part time roles because of their excellent work), but Tahna's acting was pretty luke warm to me...he seemed kind of wooden and lifeless to me. Someone in his position I would be expecting a lot more fire. Amongst the regulars though, she's right that the acting significantly improved...especially Kira and Sisko. Garak made me chuckle watching it this time through, just by how overt and creepy he was. Touching Bashir's neck and shoulders, practically slithering his tongue into Bashir's ear while inviting him to the shop...to his credit Alexander Siddig's reactions were excellent (ly creeped out).

The writing was mature, fair minded, and surprisingly deep for the show's third produced and second aired episode. My favorite early-foreshadowing comment, which I'm surprised got left out of the initial review:

"There's one thing I'll never understand about you humanoids. Pretense." (and a bit later) "Maybe that's why I've learned to respect your opinion so much...never any pretense." Funny how early on we establish that Odo is never happy except when he's tormenting Quark or sitting in the same room with Kira and how deep the trust between Kira and Odo goes.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how early on we establish that Odo is never happy except when he's tormenting Quark or sitting in the same room with Kira and how deep the trust between Kira and Odo goes.

    Actually, I'm quite stunned myself that I completely forgot to mention Kira and Odo. Because you are, of course, right - this was the first episode in which we saw that dynamic of trust in action. I shall add an additional comment in my original review.

    ReplyDelete