Thursday, November 26, 2009

Classics: DS9 2:22 – The Wire

Overall Rating: 9.4

A brilliant script, some brilliant acting, and a surprisingly touching (and yet disturbing) episode is born. Garak’s character takes a major step forward and he instantly becomes one of the most important recurring figures in the entire history of Trek.

Plot Synopsis:

The always-mysterious Garak and Bashir are conversing about a painfully predictable bit of Cardassian literature – a novel about an entire family of Cardassian patriots who, generation after generation, loyally serve the empire and choose the state over any personal desires. Garak is not his jovial self, repeatedly wincing in agony from a severe headache that he tries to cover. Bashir is concerned but Garak refuses to be seen in a vulnerable state and storms off in a huff. When Bashir catches him doing some secret business with Quark, his curiosity is peaked. When, the next day, a very drunk Garak collapses in agony and is knocked unconscious, Bashir discovers an implant buried deep within his brain.

Unsure of what the device is for, he turns to Odo and has security trace Quark’s calls. They listen in as Quark tries to acquire his merchandise and when his Cardassian contact (Glinn Boheeka) realizes what Quark is after, he panics. If the Obsidian Order catches him inquiring about classified bio-technology, he’ll be ruined for sure! We learn that the Obsidian Order is a rather 1984-esque big brother outlet…the eyes and ears of the Cardassian Empire. The fact that Garak is trying to acquire a replacement for his classified implant certainly raises suspicions about his past and Bashir intends to ask Garak a few questions when he wakes up; but when they return to the infirmary, Garak is gone.

Bashir tracks him to his quarters and barges in, angering the obviously edgy Garak. He confronts Garak about his knowledge of his dealings with Quark and the informs him that there was no chance of acquiring a replacement. With this news, Garak collapses in agony once more and, with some cajoling, admits that the device was a gift from Enabran Tain – a device designed to release massive quantities of endorphins and make him immune to the pain of torture. Unfortunately, Garak learned how to control the device and turned it into a drug addiction to cope with the torture of his exile on a Bajoran station. After two years of continuous use, the implant is corroding and damaging his brain and he can’t shut it off because his body is addicted to the high endorphin levels.

Bashir promises to treat Garak in his quarters (to save him a little dignity) and convinced Garak to let him shut off the pleasure device. Withdrawal from the endorphin flood is the least of Garak’s problems when Bashir learns that the structure of his leukocytes has been altered by continuous use of the device and it’s causing toxins to build up in his body despite the fact that the device has been deactivated. He sets out on a dangerous mission to find Tain and enlist his aid in saving Garak’s life. After a deeply creepy conversation in which Tain reveals just how much he knows about Bashir, the DS9 crew and Garak, he agrees to have the relevant data sent to the station so that Garak may continue in his torturous exile – a fitting punishment as he sees it. He wants nothing more than to see Garak live a long life amongst Bajoran rabble. Bashir gets back to the station just in time to administer the treatment and Garak recovers. Despite hearing at least three different versions of the reason behind his exile, Bashir never learns the real truth…a fully recovered Garak taunts him, challenging him to figure it all out from the clues he’s been given.

SABR Matt’s Ratings:

Writing: 10.0

This episode is incredibly rich in its dialogue and intrigue. Not only is Garak’s character greatly enhanced by the many stories he tells, the further information we glean about his past, and his interactions with Bashir, but Robert Hewitt Wolfe manages to craft a script that simultaneously depicts Garak as a deeply flawed and dangerous man and forces the audience to feel sympathy for him. That’s quite a trick, if you ask me. How they managed to get us to LIKE this man while at the same time making us feel utterly frustrated that he won’t give us the real story behind his exile and utterly wigged out about the men with whom he used to associate and the crimes he probably committed in his past is beyond me.

Acting: 10.0

Andrew Robinson is always a class guest star in his role as Garak but this is probably his best work in the entire canon. A frequent thorn in my side during the first season, we’re watching Alexander Siddig grow up as an actor too. His performance is completely flawless here…the determination he conveys in his capacity as both Garak’s friend and doctor, and the frustration and fascination he has with the mystery that is Garak’s life are skillfully and appropriately presented. Even Tain is a brilliant bit of casting…a jovial lard-butt who we would probably most likely see as a comic relief typecast under normal circumstances and nonetheless a talented actor, Paul Dooley just NAILS the role. They could have gone with an imposing looking brute…someone who could kill you with their thumb. They went instead for a man with dangerous eyes that hide behind rolls of fat and a fake smile. It’s all so dreadfully creepy!

Message: 8.0

Bashir’s dedication to his friends has always been admirable as has his dedication to his professional responsibilities. Beyond that, this episode’s strength is not in some communication of a morally sound message, but in forcing us to see the layers of complexity in a man and to realize his humanity (OK…Cardassianity…I love making up words! :) )…I can’t give the episode a huge score under this heading, but it’s certainly a worthy feature without one.

Stephanie S.’s Ratings:

Writing: 10.0

In addition to providing us with tidbits of Garak’s past while simultaneously deepening his mystery, this episode also strengthens our respect for Bashir as a physician. As Garak goes through the (very realistic) withdrawal that is the consequence of deactivating his implant, he lashes out in very frightening, very violent ways – and yet, Bashir never once abandons his patient. In this way, you really begin to see Bashir’s heroic potential – something that is frequently obscured early on by his arrogance. Thus, not only should this episode be praised for the attention it pays to one of DS9’s most fascinating recurring characters, but it should also be praised for furthering the growth of one of the principals.

Acting: 10.0

Alexander Siddig’s talent is blossoming in conjunction with the growth of his character. Early on, he sometimes overplays Bashir’s bright-eyed naiveté and presumption, but we see here that he is starting to master the art of subtlety. Meanwhile, Andrew Robinson’s portrayal of Garak’s withdrawal is absolutely magnificent in every respect.

Message: 8.5

I’d like to give this episode a slightly higher message score than did my co-author because it is a fine presentation of what it means to be an ethical physician. A doctor’s obligations are unique; in his profession, he is expected to treat his patients with perfect equality regardless of who those patients are. Thus, it is not uncommon to see military physicians, for example, running across the battlefield to rescue enemy combatants who have been seriously injured. When a doctor sees someone suffering, ideally, all prejudices, politics, etc., should fall away. Here, Bashir embodies this principal most admirably.

Highlights below the cut!



Highlights:

GARAK: I’m sorry, Doctor; am I boring you?
BASHIR: No, Garak. I was just up rather late last night.
GARAK: Entertaining one of your lady friends?
BASHIR: Ha…no, I wish. I was just reading the last few chapters of the book you recommended.
GARAK: ‘The Never-ending Sacrifice!’ Without a doubt the finest work of Cardassian literature ever written.
BASHIR: I suppose I’ll just have to take your word for it.
GARAK: You didn’t like it, I presume.
BASHIR: I was…interesting. Perhaps a bit dull…
GARAK: How disappointing…
BASHIR: Well the author was supposed to be chronicling seven generations of a great Cardassian family and yet he tells the same story over and over again! Each person in turn is born, leads a life of tireless devotion to the state…and then they day and the next generation does it all again!
GARAK: That’s the whole point, Doctor! The repetitive saga is the highest art form in Cardassian literature and ‘The Never-ending Sacrifice’ is its crowning achievement!
BASHIR: But none of the characters come alive! And there’s more to life than duty to the state.
GARAK: Spoken like a typical Starfleet officer. Your taste, Doctor, is obviously rather lacking.

DAX: What’s your medical opinion, Doctor?
BASHIR: Well...if I had to guess…I’d say this plant is…sick.
DAX: I already know that, Julian. Why is it sick?
BASHIR: I’m a doctor, not a botanist. Have you asked Dr. O’Brien?
DAX: She’s away at the exobotany conference on Rigel 4.
BASHIR: And none of your previous hosts had any experience with horticulture?
DAX: Tobin was the only one who ever experimented with growing plants and, unfortunately, he had about as much luck with them as he did with women.
BASHIR: Well let’s have a look. (goes to a console and examines the soil sample he just collected) Ah. Here’s the problem. Where this plant comes from, the native soil contains harmless bacteria that help the plant absorb water, but the specimens in this soil are almost completely gone! If we take a sample of the remaining organisms and grow a new culture in the lab, that should do the trick.
DAX: Mrs. O’Brien would be proud.
BASHIR: It’s all right there on the screen. If only my humanoid patients were so simple.
DAX: Someone giving you a hard time?
BASHIR: It’s Garak! Today at the replimat, he seemed to be in severe pain. He could hardly breathe and his pulse was rapid. But when I offered to take him to the infirmary he refused.
DAX: Maybe he just didn’t want to appear weak…
BASHIR: No…that’s not the problem. It’s that damned Cardassian evasiveness of his! Why can’t he just tell me what’s going on?
DAX: Why does this bother you so much?
BASHIR: Well it’s just that we’ve been having lunch together once a week for over a year now. I’d hope he’d begin to trust me…at least a little…
DAX: Why should he? It’s not like you two are friends.
BASHIR: No, I suppose not (looking a little hurt). When it comes right down to it, I don’t trust him either. For all I know, the man really is a Cardassian spy. If he doesn’t want my help, why should that bother me? (he stalks out leaving Dax smirking a little at his obvious intention to continue pursuing the matter)

BASHIR: You and Garak? In business together?
QUARK: Doctor! What a pleasant surprise. Can I get you anything?
BASHIR: What could the two of you possibly be up to?
QUARK: Garak is in the market for a sizing imager. I happen to have the perfect contact for this little deal…
BASHIR: A sizing imager? (dubiously)
QUARK: Not just any sizing imager. It’s calibrated to be accurate to within a millimeter!
BASHIR: Oh I see…(even more dubiously…LOL)
QUARK: Now…is there anything I can get you, Doctor? A Saurian brandy before bed perhaps? Or a late night visit to the holosuite…
BASHIR: That’s alright…I think I’m going to make it an early night.
QUARK: Suit yourself…(Quark is entirely too good at lying)

BASHIR: That should do it. How do you feel?
SISKO: Much better; thank you, Doctor.
BASHIR: Try not to strain your voice yelling at Starfleet Admirals quite so much.
SISKO: I wasn’t yelling, I was…merely expressing my opinion. Loudly. (LOL)

BASHIR: Why is the device malfunctioning?
GARAK: It was…never meant for continuous use.
BASHIR: Continuous use? I don’t understand…
GARAK: Doctor…living on this station…is torture for me. The air is always too cold. The lights are always too bright. Every Bajoran on the station looks at me with loathing and contempt. So one day…I took the pain away.
BASHIR: You activated your implant?
GARAK: I created a device which allowed me to trigger my cranial implant whenever I wished. At first I used it for only a few minutes each day, but then I began to rely on it more and more until finally I turned it on and never shut it off.
BASHIR: How long has it been active?
GARAK: Two years. Unfortunately, my body has become dependent on the higher levels of endorphins and I can’t shut it down.
BASHIR: So that’s it then. You’re just going to throw in the towel – wait to die – let the Obsidian Order destroy you…just like that?
GARAK: You’re wasting your breath! Has it ever occurred to you that I’m getting exactly what I deserve?
BASHIR: No one deserves to die like this.
GARAK: (laughing through the agony) Please, Doctor, I’m suffering enough without having to listen to your smug Federation sympathy! Do you think because we have lunch once a week that you know me? You can’t even begin to fathom want I’m capable of!
BASHIR: I’m a doctor. You’re my patient. That’s all I need to know.
GARAK: Wrong again, Doctor. Let me tell you a little story. During the occupation, I was a Gul in the Cardassian military. I was stationed just outside their capital and just prior to the withdrawal, five Bajoran prisoners escaped from my custody. My aide at the time – a man named Elim – tracked them to a Cardassian shuttle that was departing for Terok Nor. Elim followed them on board, but I took more immediate action. I ordered the shuttle shot down, killing every Bajoran prisoner, my aide, and 97 Cardassian crewmen.
BASHIR: You can’t be serious.
GARAK: I followed my orders. Unfortunately, one of the Cardassians aboard that ship was the daughter of a prominent military official. I was stripped of my rank and exiled from my homeland. So now you know, Doctor. I hope I haven’t shattered too many of your illusions.
BASHIR: Right now, I don’t give a damn about what you’ve done in your past. You’re my patient and I’m going to do whatever is necessary to get you through this. I know it’s not going to be easy for you, but we have to shut down your implant. I promise, whatever symptoms you experiences, we’ll work through them together. Now I need you to tell me where you put that triggering device.
GARAK: (after a log pause) The desk…second drawer.

ODO: Doctor, I need to ask Garak some questions. I have four cases in my unsolved files that I have reason to believe may have something to do with the Order.
BASHIR: He’s asleep right now and has been since we shut down his implant. Your question will have to wait.
ODO: How long before he regains consciousness?
BASHIR: I have no idea, Constable. Right now I don’t even know if he’ll recover.
ODO: In that case I’d like to speak with him immediately. Wake him up.
BASHIR: I’ll do no such thing.
ODO: Doctor, these are murder cases and Garak may be a suspect.
BASHIR: Frankly, Constable, I don’t care. Garak is in no condition to speak with you, so as of right now, his quarters are off limits to everyone but emergency medical personnel. Is that understood? (Go Julian!! You’ve got some nads after all!)

BASHIR: Garak? What are you doing up? You should be resting.
GARAK: Don’t touch me!
BASHIR: Garak, try to calm down…
GARAK: I don’t want to calm down, Doctor! Look at this place...it’s pathetic! To think that this is what I’ve been reduced to. Everything I’ve worked for…gone! Exiled to this sterile shell…this prison! (he smashes a vase as he spits the last word).
BASHIR: Look, you’re body chemistry is unstable right now…you’re obviously experiencing some side effects from the endorphin withdrawal…
GARAK: But how can that be, Doctor? I’m thinking more clearly than I have in two years! Two years…what a waste these last two years have been! (he turns over his desk in a violent rage). There was a time, Doctor…oh there was a time when I was a power! The protégé of Enabran Tain himself; do you have any idea what that means?”
BASHIR: No, actually…
GARAK: Tain was the Obsidian Order. And I was his right hand man! My future was limitless…and I threw it all away!
BASHIR: When you had that shuttle shot down?
GARAK: There was no shuttle, Doctor! I wish there had been. My crime was much…much worse!
BASHIR: What could possibly be worse than…
GARAK: During the withdrawal from Bajor, I was tasked with interrogating five Bajoran prisoners. They were children, Doctor! They had nothing…they knew nothing! The room was so cold…the air was like ice and suddenly, the entire exercise seemed meaningless to me. All I wanted was a warm fire and a good meal! So…I let them go – gave them what latinum I had in my pocket and flung them back out into the street! Elim couldn’t believe his eyes! He looked at me as if I’d gone insane!
BASHIR: You took pity on this children…
GARAK: No, Doctor! I was weak! I should have done my duty, finished the interrogation and turned them over to Cardassian authorities for execution but because I was cold and my belly was growling I threw it all away! I was exiled…left to rot on this station with nothing to look forward to but having lunch with you!
BASHIR: I’m sorry you feel that way. I thought you enjoyed my company.
GARAK: Oh I did, Doctor. That’s the worst part in all of this. I can’t believe I actually enjoyed eating mediocre food and staring into your smug, superior face! I hate this station and I hate you!! (He flies into a final rage and leaps on Julian, attacking him blindly before the pain makes him seize up and Julian calls for aid)

NURSE: If we turn his implant back on, it might help keep him alive for another week or two.
GARAK: No. I won’t allow it. I never want that thing turned on again.
BASHIR: I understand how you feel, Garak, but right now, I’m not sure what else you can do for me.
GARAK: Oh, you’ve done enough, Doctor. Far more than I deserve. Right now, I’m more interested in doing something for you.
BASHIR: What do you mean?
GARAK: I can tell you the truth.
BASHIR: I’ve about given up on getting the truth from you, Garak.
GARAK: Don’t give up on me yet, Doctor. Patience has its rewards. Now listen carefully. Elim wasn’t my aide. He was…my friend. We were closer than brothers. Together we rose to the top of the Obsidian Order. There was a scandal involving the escape of five Bajoran prisoners. Rumors spread through the Order about who would be accused…fingers everywhere were pointing at me. So I did everything I could to make sure that Elim would be the one to take the blame. I altered records, planted evidence, anything that would lead the investigation to him – only to realize that he’d beaten me to it. I was tried and exiled, and the irony, Doctor, is that I deserved it. Oh not for the reasons they claimed…for what I’d tried to do to my friend.
BASHIR: Why are you telling me all of this?
GARAK: So that you can forgive me, of course. I have to know that someone…forgives me.
BASHIR: I forgive you, Garak. For whatever it is that you did.
GARAK: Thank you, Doctor. That’s most kind.

TAIN: Good evening, Doctor! I hope your trip through Cardassian space was not too difficult.
BASHIR: Far less difficult than I expected.
TAIN: I’m glad to hear it. I warned the Central Command that you’d be coming. They don’t much care for surprises.
BASHIR: How did you know…
TAIN: Information is my business, Doctor.
BASHIR: You must be Enabran Tain.
TAIN: And you must be Dr. Julian Subatai Bashir. Second in your class at Starfleet Academy. Specialties in exobiology, infectious diseases and genetics. Can I offer you something? Tarkalian tea, perhaps?
BASHIR: I always drink…Tarkalian…tea…how did you…
TAIN: A good host should know something about the needs of his guests. Computer, Tarkalian tea, please. And a glass a Kanar.
BASHIR: I don’t understand. I thought you’d retired.
TAIN: I did…but I still like to keep myself informed on current events. There is much you can tell me, I’m sure.
BASHIR: Of course! I can tell you anything you’d like to know about medicine, my research, or tennis. Would you care to hear about my latest work in prion regeneration therapy?
TAIN: Tell me, Doctor; are all Starfleet Lieutenants this brash?
BASHIR: I can’t say. Though, truthfully, I doubt it.
TAIN: So do I. Now then, Doctor. How is Garak?
BASHIR: He’s dying.
TAIN: And you’re the Doctor who’s trying to save his life. I thought you were his friend.
BASHIR: I am.
TAIN: Then you should let him die. Trust me, Doctor, you’ll be doing him a favor.
BASHIR: Look, are you going to help me or not?
TAIN: You’re the Doctor. What do you need me for?
BASHIR: My knowledge of Cardassian physiology is limited. I need information on how to replicate Cardassian leukocytes.
TAIN: And if I don’t give you what you want, Garak dies?
BASHIR: Yes, I suppose so.
TAIN: Well we can’t have that. I’ll see to it that all of the information you need is sent to your station.
BASHIR: Thank you.
TAIN: Don’t think me, Doctor. I’m not doing Garak any favors. He doesn’t deserve such a quick death. On the contrary…I want him to live a long and miserable life on that station surrounded by people who hate him and knowing he can never come home again.
BASHIR: What a lovely sentiment.
TAIN: And it’s from the heart. Now I think you’d better run along before you wear out your welcome.
BASHIR: Just one more question, Tain.
TAIN: Make it very quick.
BASHIR: Before I left, Garak spoke of a man he knew from the Obsidian Order. I wondered what happened to him.
TAIN: Did he give you the name of this man?
BASHIR: He said his name was Elim.
TAIN: (chuckling) I see Garak hasn’t changed one bit. Never tell the truth when a lie will do.
BASHIR: What do you mean?
TAIN: Elim, Doctor, is Garak’s first name. Now run along home. And…tell Garak I miss him.
BASHIR: I’ll give him the message.

GARAK: So..how’s the I’danian spiced pudding today?
BASHIR: How’s the pudding?? Is that all you have to say for yourself? How can you just sit here and pretend the last ten days never happened?
GARAK: I, for one, Doctor, am quite satisfied with the way things turned out. And I feel no need to dwell on what was undoubtedly a difficult time for both of us. Oh…I had a rather strange conversation with Constable Odo. It seems he’s under the misguided impression that I’m some sort of spy!
BASHIR: And what did you tell him?
GARAK: That he was mistaken of course.
BASHIR: And he believed you?
GARAK: He mumbled something about watching me more closely in the future. I told him ‘Go right ahead, I have nothing to hide.’ I’m just…
BASHIR and GARAK (in unison): Plain simple Garak.
GARAK: Here…a gift, for you (he hands Bashir a data clip).
BASHIR: Meditations on a Crimson Dawn…more Cardassian literature?
GARAK: I think you’ll find this one much more to your liking. It’s set in the future…during a time when Cardassia and the Klingon Empire are at war.
BASHIR: I wonder who wins…
GARAK: Who do you think?
BASHIR: Wait…don’t tell me…I wouldn’t want you to spoil the surprise. (LOL) Garak…I still have a lot of questions about your past.
GARAK: Such as?
BASHIR: What really happened?
GARAK: Doctor, I’ve given you all the answers I’m capable of.
BASHIR: You’ve given me answers alright…but they were all different! What I want to know is…out of all the stories you told…which ones were true and which ones weren’t?
GARAK: My dear Doctor – they’re all true!
BASHIR: Even the lies?
GARAK: Especially the lies!

No comments:

Post a Comment