Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pardon the Interruption: House 6:17 - Knight Fall

Overall: 5.7

As you can see, I did not give this episode as low a score as SABR Matt apparently would've given it. After the jump, I explain why.



Plot Synopsis:

The official recap can be found here.

Writing: 5.0

The good news: this episode doesn't play like filmed crack fanfiction, which is an improvement over last week. (I like crack, but allowing it to become canon is pandering to your audience.) I even find this episode rather cute and/or funny in places. For example, I love how comfortable Thirteen is at the Faire. And I have to admit that House's bringing an obvious transvestite to dinner with Wilson and Sam is pretty classic. The bad news: the whole plot with Wilson, House and Sam feels a little like a re-tread. Wilson gets a girl. House disapproves of the girl. House and the girl declare war on each other. Eh. I suppose it's not exactly identical to previous mini-arcs, but the basic outlines seem just a bit too familiar.

Acting: 7.0

I thought the guest cast was pretty good, actually. And regarding the regular cast, I have no complaints.

Message: 5.0

While I definitely think it's damaging to advance the idea that it's okay to pursue a relationship that's likely to fail so long as the sex is good (and disappointing that such an idea should be put in Thirteen's mouth), I'm not sure we can trust what either House or Wilson tells us about Sam. I would feel much more secure about passing a judgment on the writers' message here if we'd heard more than one side of the story regarding Wilson's first marriage, and I think we'd be guilty of committing a very Housian error if we assume right off the bat that Sam was a harpy, has not changed and therefore will almost certainly suck Wilson dry like the mythical succubus. And to answer what I'm sure will be an immediate objection, Sam is certainly not the first of Wilson's women to launch a battle royale with House (see my comments above), so I don't think that counts as conclusive evidence that Sam is evil. Just thought I'd put that bit of skepticism out there as food for thought.

Unlike my co-author, I also was not really offended by William's final scene. Again, it all comes down to my unwillingness to trust that what we see on the screen constitutes the whole story. While I have no doubt that William loves Shannon, there's really no evidence that Miles doesn't - which means I can't assume that William gives Shannon up just so she can marry for convenience. And by the way, that analysis is not supported by the actual dialogue either; William mentions Miles' good financial position, sure, but he also says that Miles treats Shannon well and is "a great guy." That doesn't sound to me like William is consigning Shannon to a life of empty material comfort. It's a shame that William feels he has to be well off to be a worthy husband, but I'm not convinced that his failure of confidence will absolutely lead to devastating unhappiness for Shannon.

On the whole, I certainly don't believe the themes in this episode represent a positive addition to our pop-cultural landscape (particularly not that endorsement of casual sex), but I don't find them rage-inducing either. Yes, I am troubled by the unseriousness that has crept into the show lately (dear writers: speaking as someone who has taken Vicodin, I know for sure that it doesn't work like pot - and while I'm at it, blogging doesn't bring people together either), but I don't think the questionable moments in Knight Fall come close to hitting a rock bottom.

2 comments:

  1. My rage was not focused on one episode, Steph...just for clarity's sake. This past episode was not the most offensive one of the last several - not even close. I'd have probably given this one a 5.0/7.5/3.5 (5.3), so we're not that far apart.

    My rage was ignited by a few moments in this episode building on a number of moments in previous episodes...and more importantly, a few moments in this episode DETONATING years of positive character-building for thirteen and, IMHO, sending the wrong message about the things we should be considering when we make life choices (the casual sex thing, the materialism thing, etc).

    Mostly...thirteen was one of only two characters I was still rooting for (the other being Cuddy)...and then the writers decided to blow that all to hell by turning thirteen into a mouthpiece for casual, meaningless sex. I'm angry that there seems to be a lack of consistency with the characters creeping into the canon, as well as a gradual fall off the cliff when it comes to choosing patients and writing their life stories.

    We've seen an increasing trend away from patients who are basically good people (watch first season episodes...most of those patients were ordinary people) to patients who have one shocking character trait or lifestyle habit and now toward patients who are truly bizarre for any number of reasons.

    The blogging junkie who prioritized total strangers over her boyfriend...the dad who had sex with his son's teenaged girlfriend and considers "I was really drunk!" a good excuse...the patient who's in an "open marriage"...the psychopath...they're just looking for cheap shock value now rather than forcing House to confront normal people with normal-people problems.

    I think the show has jumped the shark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for whether to trust what House and Wilson say about Wilson's first marriage...here's the data I see:

    Sam re-enters Wilson's life, House IMMEDIATELY takes up the cause of defending his friend from getting hurt...(this is not new)...when he confronts her directly, she goes all "coldhearted freakazoid" on us...as Steph points out, this could just be that she felt on the defensive since House is an intimidating guy. However, later in the episode, she returns to House's office and applies what is VERY OBVIOUSLY a manipulation tactic..."Is it really...so much to ask...that you give us a chance to see where this leads?" (in a phony-sounding earnest voice with the big puppy-dog eyes...sorry...it was complete crap and everyone watching knows it)...and during this scene, ADMITS...that most of the problems in her marriage with Wilson were HER FAULT: "we both made mistakes (House glowers at her) - OK...most of the mistakes were mine, but that was over a decade ago."

    Notice...her defense is not "but I've done this and that to change my life...I'm a completely different person etc...it's just "it's been a decade." That's the defense of the guilty. I'm gonna take Sam AT HER OWN WORD...I don't need to trust House or Wilson's version of events. Sam admits she was a bitch in her youth with Wilson. Hence...I'm inclined to agree.

    ReplyDelete