Friday, December 24, 2010

Classics: Farscape 1:8 - That Old Black Magic

Overall: 8.2

Maldis is a pretty silly villain - if he had a mustache, we would've seen him twirling it - but it's hard to deny what this episode does for both Zhaan and Crais.

Plot Synopsis:

Farscape World has a summary here.

The Skinny:

One of the perils inherent in using characters like Zhaan - characters, in other words, who have psionic powers - is that it is difficult to resist the temptation to cheat. In the old Star Trek, for example, Spock's telepathy was often used as a deus ex machina when the plot required it; indeed, the viewer was often left wondering whether there was anything Spock could not accomplish with his Vulcan mental abilities. Fortunately, in this episode, O'Bannon and Manning take the first step towards avoiding this danger. While they are not entirely successful when it comes to drawing limits around Maldis' power, they at least link Zhaan's abilities with a frightening consequence. Oh, yes -- Zhaan's magic can be used in combat, but not without awakening her dark side.

In the meantime, this episode also fills in Crais' backstory -- and said backstory makes his over-the-top quest to kill Crichton at least a little understandable. Torn from his father at a tender age, the young Bialar had only his brother to cling to. Thus, I suppose it is within the realm of possibility that Crais, driven by guilt and suppressed rage at those who destroyed his childhood, would desperately seek to avenge the destruction, however accidental, of his one tie to the home he's lost. Am I inclined to change my earlier skeptical assessment of this plot line? Not entirely. But I appreciate what the writers were attempting to do.

And one last side-note: Psychotic bad guys are usually pretty boring, and Maldis is no exception. It is, however, interesting that Maldis' interventions manage to push Crichton to such an extremity that our hero gives up on his "talk to Crais" plan and decides to kill the mad Peacekeeper instead. This is an early sign of just how aggressively this universe will eat away at Crichton's fresh-faced idealism.

Writing: 8.5

If it weren't for the inclusion of Snidely Whiplash Maldis, the character work in this script would've earned it a feature rating.

Acting: 7.5

A number of times, we slip into over-the-top melodrama. Outside of those scenes, however, the acting is solid -- even great.

Message: 8.5

I'm giving this episode a relatively high score on the message front for its willingness to acknowledge the moral messiness of the real world. I certainly don't disagree that peaceful diplomacy should always our first resort. But if, like Crichton or Zhaan, we find ourselves in a position in which our choices are, essentially, "kill or be killed," we'd be foolish (in most cases) not to choose the first option.

Highlights:

Zhaan: I was once capable of cruelty. But now I have evolved past that.
Liko: Evolved? Try repressed! You've choked off all your real emotions.
Zhaan: That's not true.
Liko: You think you've smothered your inner fire and found enlightenment. But all you've done is make yourself cold. Look at you! Struggling to contain what you're feeling, fighting to keep control. What is it you're so afraid of?
Zhaan: I - I'm not afraid.
Liko: Come on! You're terrified!
Zhaan: I am a Delvian Pa'u. Nothing can frighten me if I do not wish it.
Liko: You can't wish your fear away. Face it. Admit what it is you're scared of. Are you afraid of Maldis? You can destroy him!
Zhaan: That's what terrifies me.

John: Crais! Lay off for a minute and listen to me.
Crais: Why? So you can beg for your life?
John: So I can tell you why your brother died.
Crais: Tell me then. Tell me why he died.
John: First, you tell me something. My module, the one I was piloting. How does it compare with your Prowlers?
Crais: Primitive. No weapons. No defense shield.
John: A wind-up toy, right? Yeah, my species is so primitive we all live on one planet. I was orbiting when a wormhole sucked me onto your turf. I didn't intend it, and I'd go home in a second if I could.
Crais: I believe you'd say anything to save your life.
John: It's the truth. You think I attacked your brother? Oh, yeah. I popped into the middle of a giant space battle and decided to go one-on-one with a total stranger in a far superior ship. Does that make any sense?

Tauvo Sr: (in a flashback) It's time my sons. The recruiter is here to pick you up. Stay close to Tauvo. Give him guidance. I'm counting on you to protect him. Do you understand? (The child Bialar - our Crais - nods silently before he is taken away by the recruiter.) Bialar! (Tauvo bows his head sadly.)
John: Is that real? You didn't choose to be a Peacekeeper? You and your brother were shanghaied from your home?

D'Argo: Zhaan! The door will not open. We cannot get inside.
Zhaan: Even if you could, Maldis in his incorporeal form cannot be hurt by weapons like those.
Aeryn: Then what can hurt him?
Zhaan: I can.
Aeryn: Eh. Well then. After you. (Zhaan makes no move.) What are you waiting for?
Zhaan: A third choice. Although I know there are only two. Let that evil flourish, or unleash another evil against it. (to D'Argo) How would you choose?
D'Argo: I suppose I would choose the lesser of evils.

John: Enjoying yourself Crais? Maldis sure is. He wants us to fight. You ever wonder why?
Crais: I don't care why!
John: He's feeding off us. He's drawing energy. You notice how jazzed up he gets every time we go at it and how tired he looks when we don't? That's why he showed you your brother. Crais - he's pushing your buttons.
Crais: MALDIS - (He pauses for a moment to regain control.) - doesn't command me.
John: Don't fool yourself, buddy. Maldis is your enemy here, not me.
Crais: It won't work. Nothing can stop me from killing you.
John: Look. Just listen. Please, listen. You're beating yourself up because you were supposed to protect your brother. I understand that now. And you can believe this or you can shine it, but honest to god, I tried to get clear. I didn't mean for him to crash, and I'm sorry he's dead. Do you understand that?
Crais: (tired) It doesn't matter.
John: (disbelieving) Doesn't matter?
Crais: It changes nothing. Tauvo is dead. Struck down by a weak, pathetic, inferior being. It must be avenged! I swear in Tauvo's name, Crichton. You will die in my hands.

Rygel: (to John's unconscious form) I don't know why I'm bothering. I don't care what Aeryn thinks. You certainly look dead to me. I don't know your customs for these situations. Not that I care. So I'll give you the Hynerian Ceremony Of Passage and be done with it. (He clears his throat.) "John Crichton, valued friend - " No, wait a minute. "Valued friend" is a bit of a stretch - "John Crichton, unwelcome shipmate - " Hmm - "May you have safe transport to the Hallowed Realm." (There is a long pause.) Hmm - actually, not our Hallowed Realm. That's for Hynerians. Go find your own hallowed realm! (LOL!)

John: Rygel! Where the hell am I?
Rygel: You - you died down on the planet. D-D'Argo and - and Aeryn brought your corpse up here and I - I revived you. Oh - Yes. The others, yeah, wanted to set your body adrift, but - but I insisted I could save your life. And I did! (Oh, brother.)
John: Yeah, of course you did. (He hugs Rygel.) It's not Kansas, and you're way too homely to be Auntie Em. Come here, Toto. (And Crichton gives Rygel a big kiss. ROTFL!)

John: Zhaan! Well, you look about as cheerful as I do. C'mon. Talk to me. What's up?
Zhaan: John... Before I became a priest, I... I was a savage.
John: Yeah, I think I remember you saying that. I don't know that I ever believed it.
Zhaan: You've never seen that part of me. I thought I'd eradicated it. Forever.
John: Well, you resurrected it once. To deal with Maldis, so it's over.
Zhaan: No, it's not. I feel it inside me still. Now I have to rid myself of it again, and I don't know if I can do it, John.
John: Well, is there anything I can do to help? I dunno - there must be something. I mean, even if it just means being a good listener. (He moves to offer comfort, but Zhaan suddenly uses her power to zap his injured hand.)
Zhaan: (darkly) No one can help me. (Dang.)

No comments:

Post a Comment