Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Classics: SG1 5:2 - Threshold

Overall Rating: 9.8

The last episode of a science fiction TV show I watched that bore this title was so dreadful that I feared for my very soul when I watched this one. :) But, thankfully, SG-1 is written by people with actual talent, unlike the Voyager staff (bazing!)...so...this one turned out to be a feature-worthy entry and a rebel yell for freedom of thought and self-determination.

Cut for length.



Plot Synopsis:

A full plot summary may be found at the Stargate Wiki. Normally, for a feature episode, I'd type a full synopsis, but this is a very complex episode to describe and I like the work done at the Wiki better than anything I could produce on short notice.

The Skinny:

SABR Matt: My co-author talks about the importance of explaining why Teal'c turned against Apophis when he saw humans who weren't subjects of the Goa'uld below. I want to talk about the implied message regarding the irrepressible nature of freedom. We often wonder, for example, why huge chunks of the world's population tolerate brutality, tyranny and worse at the hands of their own governments. I would suggest that the answer is not simple fear, though that plays a big role (as it does in this story). And the answer is not so glib as the typical atheist claim that people will tolerate almost anything in the name of religion, though we do see that faith is often used as a tool by the corrupt to keep enslaved populations at bay (and we see it in this story as well). The real reason, I believe is hope - or a lack thereof.

Oppressed people are often forbidden from learning certain truths...including anything that might lead them toward experiencing in even a small way the freedoms of those fortunate enough to live somewhere better (yes, I said better). As the Goa'uld instruct the Jaffa never to question their judgment in battle, never to consider anything other than teachings of their own making, and never to spend any time on anything other than training to be warriors, so to the Chinese censor knowledge about the west, the theocracies in the Middle East control the schools (such as they are) and even encourage illiteracy, and the institutions of information (education, media and philosophy) are strictly controlled in North Korea - right down to their text books. The typical Islamic terrorist is either illiterate or barely literate, bored (because he does not have a job), and young (and therefore idealistic and impressionable) and that is by design. The typical Jaffa has only the skills he needs to fight and die for his "god."

We certainly see Teal'c doubts grow through life experience...we certainly see how fear, torture, indoctrination and poverty lead to a populace that, while dissatisfied, feels helpless and does what it's told. But we also see that the solution is not simply better education or abstract love and respect or more money and resources as liberal philosophers have claimed regarding the Islamic world. They're missing the point, IMO, and I think the Stargate writers get it to. The turning point for Teal'c is the sight of people who are not oppressed...the defiant stare of a man who's tasted freedom. Teal'c finds hope that such a condition is possible only by seeing it for himself. It's not enough that America be a shining city on a hill...we can't just stand as an example...we have to take it right into the homes and hearts of oppressed peoples around the globe...they have to see it work to believe it's possible...and they have to see it FIRST HAND. Once an oppressed man tastes true freedom, even for an instant, hope is sure to follow, and hope can topple mountains, collapse dictators and save our immortal souls. Hope is what turns Teal'c...convinces him that, rather than living with committing atrocities in the name of a false god, he can choose a better path. And THAT is what makes this a great episode for me.

Stephanie S: If there's one thing I always enjoy, it's a good exploration of a character's back story. That's why I love the very best fanfiction as much as I do -- and that's why I love this episode. If, as I did way back when, you have always wondered what prompted Teal'c to betray his master at that critical moment in the pilot, wonder no further: Threshold answers that lingering question, and it does so with a fascinating, multi-layered tale that digs deep into the experience of the Jaffa.

Here, the Jaffa come to life not as robotic foot soldiers (who, by the way, frequently can't shoot the broadside of a barn) but as living, breathing, thinking individuals. Here, the Jaffa, prompted by their rich battlefield experience, question their master's military tactics. Here, the Jaffa struggle with the consequences of Apophis' wicked orders. Here, we see the hopelessness of the days before the Tau'ri, when a honest Jaffa's best hope was to earn a high rank so that he might, on occasion, be able to (quietly) subvert the Goa'uld. And here, most importantly of all, we see how Teal'c's doubt evolved, bit by bit, through the accretion of life experiences. On the whole? This episode is a terrific character piece that adds a great deal to the Stargate mythos.

Writing: 10.0 /10.0

I am predisposed to like anything as well researched, thought out, and connected to the greater canon universe as this. But this is not just a triumph of continuity and characterization. This is a well-crafted story with some very moving dialogue...and it's also one of the best-produced and directed episodes of all time for this franchise.

Acting: 9.0 /9.5

I was never all that impressed with Drey'auc...either in her earliest appearances of now. And I thought Va'lar was a bit too...erm...direct? But the mainstays on the cast, and, of course, Tony Amendola (Bra'tac - who is awesome by default) were on their games. Chris Judge had a tough job to do this week...he had to show that slowly-building defiance from the moment of his introduction to Apophis to the fateful moment in the Pilot...and that ever-creeping maturity as well...from young pupil of Bra'tac to new master and leader of a rebellion. Pretty awesome stuff here.

Message: 10.0 /10.0

There is no greater weapon to overthrow a tyrant than the self-determination borne of hope. And there is no faster way to give a man hope than to convince him that not only is there a better life for him, but that we can show him proof that this life is within his grasp.

Highlights:
TEAL'C
Kel'kek mar sholva.
BRA'TAC
But where is your god now, Teal'c?
TEAL'C
He will come.
O'NEILL
I don't think so buddy. I know we've been over this a few times, but in case you weren't listening, I am one hundred percent s-sure…

[He stutters to a stop and glances at Daniel and Carter.]

O'NEILL
Ninety nine percent sure Apophis is dead (LOL!)
TEAL'C
He has deceived you O'Neill. As I have deceived you all these years in coming to be in the service to the Tauri.
O'NEILL
Right.
TEAL'C
I have never left the service of my Lord Apophis and I never will.
O'NEILL
So all that time you were helping us out, saving the world, killing Goa'ulds…
TEAL'C
Subterfuge.
O'NEILL
Savvy.
TEAL'C
You can take my life but you can never take away my loyalty to my god. I die in his name.
(Shouting)
I die for you, My Lord! (that's some funky mental mojo)
...
APOPHIS
(to Teal'c)
Who was your father?
BRA'TAC
He is the son of…
APOPHIS
Let him speak. If he is to take your place as my First Prime I must know he has a tongue.
TEAL'C
My father was Ro'Nak, First Prime of Kronos, who was murdered for failing to win an unwinable battle. My family was exiled to Chulak.
APOPHIS
He failed his god.
TEAL'C
He did not.
BRA'TAC
Si'kree Teal'c!
TEAL'C
My lord, I speak only the truth. The battle could not have been won.
APOPHIS
Your father should have died trying. He was a coward.

[Teal'c looks up at that.]

TEAL'C
My lord, my father was not.

[Apophis raises his ribbon device and uses it on Teal'c, who falls to his knees, crying out in pain.]

...

CARTER
I hope you understand how difficult it is for us to just stand by while Teal'c is in such obvious agony. Especially Dr Fraiser.
BRA'TAC
Humans concern themselves too much with pain. (indeed we do...especially these days)
CARTER
Yeah, we also don't approve of torture.
BRA'TAC
The greater torture would be to leave him as he is. Teal'c is strong, stronger than I.
CARTER
Oh, I don't, you're the fittest hundred-and-thirty-year-old I know.
BRA'TAC
Perhaps, but I am nearing the end of my time. Kel'no'reem is more and more difficult. The symbiote I carry within will mature within two years. It will be my last.
CARTER
Why?
BRA'TAC
Even if I could procure another, the new symbiote would reject me. It is how old warriors die.
CARTER
Well, maybe we can find some way to help you.
BRA'TAC
Life for the sake of life means nothing. Neither for me nor for Teal'c. Do you understand? (again...right on, Bra'tac!)
CARTER
I think I do.
BRA'TAC
Either he will return to us as we know him, or he will not return.
...

TEAL'C
He punished me.
VA'LAR
Then you must have failed him in some way.
TEAL'C
This day I struck down one hundred of Apophis' enemies.
VA'LAR
You fought well Teal'c, none would deny that. But he is a god and if you fail him, by sparing even one enemy's life that was yours for the taking, he will know.
TEAL'C
This was not for the battle. What god would punish a son for loving his father? (what God indeed)
VA'LAR
Your god.
TEAL'C
Yes but…
VA'LAR
Never question that again! (O...K...thanks for that...)
...

BRA'TAC
Do you believe you can defeat the First Prime of Apophis in a joust?
TEAL'C
(confident)
I am the stronger.

[Bra'tac returns his staff weapon and they face each other in preparation to do battle. As they bow to each other, Bra'tac hits Teal'c over the head with his staff weapon. Teal'c stumbles back and Bra'tac swings his staff. Teal'c blocks the blows, but Bra'tac kicks him in the stomach and sweeps his legs out from under him with his staff weapon. Bra'tac points his staff at the fallen Teal'c.]

BRA'TAC
Shall I fire and stop this waste of time? Or will you learn?
TEAL'C
I was not prepared.
BRA'TAC
There are no second chances in battle. You have ears to hear and eyes to see, but you will not learn! Shall I put us both out of our misery? (Bra'tac is awesome)

[He activates the staff weapon pointed at Teal'c's face.]

Bra'tac
The choice is mine. Who can stop me? Apophis?
TEAL'C
Yes.
BRA'TAC
So you believe our Lord Apophis is all seeing? All powerful?
TEAL'C
He is a god.
BRA'TAC
Is he? In battle Teal'c, faith will not save you. Blind faith least of all.
(He kneels down and pulls Teal'c upright)
Rely on your own strength, your own wits, or you are of no use to me. (BAM!)
...

DREY'AUC
I know you honor Bra'tac.
TEAL'C
I said do not test my temper!

[He bangs his fist on the table in anger.]

DREY'AUC
But you have no choice but to tell Apophis of his betrayal.
TEAL'C
Bra'tac is my master.
DREY'AUC
Apophis is your god.
TEAL'C
If I am ever to be First Prime of Apophis, I must first honor Bra'tac.
DREY'AUC
You have seen the power of Apophis. You have seen his chariots rise from the ground, walk through the wall of water within the Chappa'ai.
TEAL'C
As I have done.
DREY'AUC
Explain how a ball of light can leave his palm and throw a warrior across the square if he is not a god. power does NOT equal lordship...Teal'c is beginning to see this)
TEAL'C
(frustrated)
I cannot!
(He rises)
Yet neither have I seen a warrior greater than Bra'tac.
DREY'AUC
Then you are the servant of two masters.
...

DANIEL
He just called me a woman.
O'NEILL
So I think it's working. (LOL)
...

VA'LAR
Ra sent his gliders down upon us. We were flanked and bombarded from the sky, there was no choice but to retreat.
TEAL'C
Shan'krev'lar.
VA'LAR
It was the only way to save my men.
TEAL'C
And yourself.
VA'LAR
No! I intend to return and with greater numbers I will drive Ra's warriors from their foothold. Please, tell him I am no coward and if given the chance I will yet prevail. I swear it.
TEAL'C
Go to our sleeping quarters. Wait for me there.
VA'LAR
Teal'c. There was no profit to merely fight and die.
TEAL'C
You may yet wish you had.
...

TEAL'C
There is a small village, two or three days walk south of the city. You may find shelter. Do not allow yourself to be captured by either side.
VA'LAR
Teal'c, you cannot do this. Even for me, he will know.
TEAL'C
We shall see.
VA'LAR
I am more willing to face my punishment than to live knowing what Apophis would do to you. For your sake, you must.
TEAL'C
Go now and never show your face again.
VA'LAR
(whispering)
He is a god, Teal'c, he will know that you have spared me.
TEAL'C
We shall see. Go.

[Va'lar finally leaves, running away. Teal'c watches him leave, then sees a dead Jaffa lying on the ground. He goes to the body and starts to pull off the Jaffa's uniform. Teal'c transports back to the ship. Apophis and two serpent guards are awaiting him. He falls to his knees.]

TEAL'C
It is done.

[He holds up a weakly squirming symbiote, the one he took from the dead Jaffa.]

APOPHIS
You have promise Teal'c. (ooooops...Mr. God didn't know...Teal'c facial expression here is AWESOME!)
...

DREY'AUC
What is wrong, Teal'c?
TEAL'C
Three days ago I led a battalion, to retake a planet that had been occupied by Ra's army. Apophis ordered me to burn a village of Ra's followers to the ground.
DREY'AUC
You did this?
TEAL'C
Yes.
DREY'AUC
Then sleep well in the knowledge you have served Apophis.
TEAL'C
I cannot close my eyes without seeing the innocent faces of the women and children who lived there. A Jaffa lived there also, a warrior named Va'lar.
DREY'AUC
(shaking her head)
No.
TEAL'C
I banished him to that village to save his life, only to take it away for fear that Apophis would learn my secret. I put my own life before that of an entire village and that of a dear friend.
DREY'AUC
No, you had no choice.
TEAL'C
I did have a choice. (the light begins to shine for Teal'c...)

[Drey'auc gets out of bed.]

DREY'AUC
A son…will soon be born to us Teal'c. You must ensure that he has a father. Our son will be born into a real home, a gift from Apophis himself. It is the best life we can hope for.
TEAL'C
Then why am I so ashamed? (indeed, Teal'c...indeed)
...

TEAL'C
There is no greater honor among Jaffa than to become First Prime to one's god…
BRA'TAC
Ahh! You know as well as I what the Goa'uld truly are. We pretend, men like you and I, so we may advance in rank and privilege, but do not pretend to me now. You know the truth. Can you look me in the face and say otherwise?
TEAL'C
My entire life you have prepared me for this day. Why?
BRA'TAC
I saw the spark of doubt in you and the wisdom to keep that doubt unto yourself. I saw you play the game with those who would play god.
TEAL'C
If I do not believe in him, how can I serve?
BRA'TAC
Because there is no other choice but to serve. The Goa'uld are powerful. They've seen to it that we cannot live without them and so it may be for all time. But neither can they live without the Jaffa. We are they're true power.
TEAL'C
I do not understand.
BRA'TAC
As First Prime that power will be yours. When Apophis throws his armies into the fire you will be there to temper his sword. And in so doing, you may save countless lives as I have done in my time.
TEAL'C
And you have done all these things against his will?
BRA'TAC
His will can be made to bend, but not always. I have done deeds for which I cannot forgive even myself. As will you. Men such as you and I have only the comfort of those time we make a difference.
(He places his hand over Teal'c's heart)
Make a difference. (wow...just wow)
...

TEAL'C
Their weapons are not of Goa'uld design.
BRA'TAC
That may be so, Teal'c, but they are only three.
TEAL'C
There is something more. A strength. They know the taste of freedom. (and the turning begins...)
BRA'TAC
Your dreams of freedom will be your undoing, Teal'c.
TEAL'C
Perhaps so.
...

I cannot highlight the best directed sequence since it's all cuts and one-liners...but from here, Bra'tac insists that Teal'c make his choice...die in the name of a false God or once again choose to fight as a free Jaffa...and we see this intermixed with Teal'c making his original choice to aid SG-1. This is really well put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment