Monday, February 14, 2011

NEW!: V (2009) 2:5 - Concordia

Overall: 7.3

The arc is starting to make at least a modicum of sense, and that is a definite plus.



Plot Synopsis:

ABC.com has the recap here.

The Skinny:

I'm starting to like my theory re: V reproduction even more. The V's definitely need human DNA for their own survival -- but, as we can see, there are conflicting ideas among the V's as to how they should get it. Anna's camp is the bait-switch-discard camp. Diana's camp is the let's-forge-a-genuine-relationship camp. It's an interesting rift.

On the ground, meanwhile, we have that ever-present split between those human resistance fighters (Hobbes and Cohn) who don't really care about the collateral damage and those rebels (Father Jack and Erica) who prefer precision strikes. At this point, this is what I think is going to happen: Eventually, the pro-human V's and the moderate rebels are going to get together and forge an agreement. Lisa will agree to destroy Anna's radical faction (prompting much angst, as this will require her to either kill or imprison her own mother), and Erica will agree to police Cohn's group. V and human will then try to live in genuine harmony (not the phony "I'll give you utopia while I stab you in the back" sort of harmony that Anna has on offer).

But enough theorizing. (Apologies, but I have to put my speculations out there so I can get credit if I turn out to be right. :)) This week's episode doesn't quite reach the level of last week's episode, but it's better than episodes 1-3. The production team actually does a fairly decent job of maintaining the tension in the run-up to the botched assassination attempt. Moreover, in allowing the FBI to train its eyes on Erica and her recent activities, the writers have finally gotten around to fixing one of the series many flaws. The fact that Erica has, until recently, escaped notice while making nice with the Fifth Column was starting to strain the show's already tenuous credibility.

Oh, and one other thing: I also believe it's a good thing that Tyler has been knocked off his special perch. In reality, a lizard as smart as Anna would never put all of her eggs in that one teenaged basket. It makes eminent sense that she would have a plan B (and a plan C, D, E, etc.).

Writing: 7.0

I'm still waiting for the writers to really wow me, but this script holds together relatively well. Anna's plans are starting to become more clear -- and, perhaps even more importantly, the humans are now facing real consequences for their resistance.

Acting: 8.0

The acting, meanwhile, continues to be pretty good. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but once again, I spied no major problems with the performances.

Message: 7.0

The Big Themes generally recede into the background here, but I'm willing to give this episode an extra point for allowing the precision-strike rebels to win the argument over what to do at the Concordia gala. That, at least, still keeps the humans on the side of the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment