Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Classics: B5 4:7 - Epiphanies

Overall: 7.3

'Tis a slightly better than average transition episode.

Plot Synopsis:

The Lurker's Guide has a summary here.

The Skinny:

I think I'll use bullet points to organize my random thoughts on this one:

  • I think it's a real shame that we don't go back to Centauri Prime at all until the fifth season. I'm rather fond of the poor Regent, and I wish JMS had done more with him.

  • "You no longer exist in my universe." Ha! That's going to last all of five seconds. If there's one thing we know about Londo, it's that he can't just leave something alone - especially when that something is G'Kar.

  • Ah, Bester, you delicious bastard. I like that your motives aren't quite so simple. What you have is a passionate group loyalty, which basically makes you no one's steady ally. Sometimes it is advantageous for you to work with Sheridan -- and sometimes it is advantageous for you to work with Clark. Hey -- whatever helps your telepaths come out on top, right?

  • You know, in the past, I didn't really understand why Sheridan and the others are so suspicious of Lyta after the war. The explanation that Lyta is dealing with some lingering prejudice against the Vorlons didn't really hold water for me -- and it still doesn't. After watching this episode again, however, I think I've hit upon another reason for Sheridan's wariness: Lyta can blow up planets with her mind. Yeah, I'd be a little scared too.

  • And regarding post-Saran-Wrap Garibaldi, I don't think I'm going to have much to say until his altered personality actually does what it's designed to do. For now, we're in a holding pattern with this plot.


Writing: 8.5

JMS actually does a very good job switching the show's gears. At no point did I really lose interest.

Acting: 7.5

At times, the performances feel a little artificial, but in general, they are not excessively annoying.

Message: 6.0

No strong themes can be found here. I think there's just too much going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment