Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Classics: B5 4:20 - Endgame

Overall: 6.2

The complaints I have here are similar to the complaints I had with the last episode. The plot turns are a little too convenient, and the acting is pretty meh.

Plot Synopsis:

The Lurker's Guide has a summary here.

The Skinny:

I hate to say it, but I think we've finally reached JMS's burn-out period. Don't get me wrong: there are still moments of brilliance left in this show. But I can't shake the feeling that everything about the conclusion of the EA Civil War arc is just too easy, easy, easy. You mean to tell me that the Clark administration had no military strategist capable of anticipating a surprise jump into Mars' atmosphere? You mean to tell me that no one in Earthgov thought to beef up the defenses around the Mars stations responsible for supplying Clark's destroyers?

The fact that Sheridan's plan literally goes off without a hitch makes the whole episode feel distinctly blah. There's no real agony here -- no terrible dilemmas, and no emphasis on the fact that humans are shooting at other humans. Even the momentary shock in re: the fact that Sheridan uses the Shadow-enhanced teeps to cripple Clark's forces feels very corny thanks to some bad acting on the part of (I think) Ungela Brockman.

Personally, I think this episode could've been markedly improved if JMS had inserted a little Farscapian chaos into the proceedings. In other words, the first few plans should've failed, and Sheridan should've been scrambling to pull off an imperfect Plan E.

Writing: 6.0

For all of JMS's protestations to the contrary, I think he does rush things in this script.

Acting: 6.5

Ehhh. I don't know whether I should blame the so-so performances on the actors or the writing.

Message: 6.0

The themes tackled here are better handled elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment