Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Classics: SG-1 6:9 - Allegiance

Overall Rating: 8.6

Very solid suspense and realistic political intrigue characterize this piece.

Plot Synopsis:

Read the details here, courtesy of the Stargate Wiki.

The Skinny:

The acting and the crisp political intrigue carry this script, without a doubt.  I love that Stargate has shown a willingness that Star Trek (other than DS9 and a few good TNG episodes) has generally not when it comes to recognizing that just because you have a common enemy, it does not guarantee that you will get along.  The fact is that the Tok'ra have radically different methods than the humans or the Jaffa do...live in a culturally completely alien world, and the same can be said of the other races in this shaky alliance.  You can't expect this kind of alliance to work right away...not with members of each race living in close quarters.  The writers demonstrated a very good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each society involved.

The Jaffa - bound by rules of honor in life and in combat - are generally trustworthy if they're your allies, but given their close connection with the Goa'uld, this allegiance cannot be assumed.  They are rigid traditional to the point of cultural repression and caste systems that would make any free Tauri a little uncomfortable.  And they are dangerously prideful sometimes...they tend to believe their own comrades are above suspicion.  The Ashrak played on this well.

The Tok'ra are closed off, equally prideful, and mistrusting.  It figures that they would be the society to not only invent a lie detector device, but to assume that its' readings are infallible enough to trust at face value in a criminal investigation.  They are an old society that has survived for years by hiding and sewing deception from within, so it makes sense that they would assume this motivation within the Jaffa and the humans as well.  They also have a rabid anti-Jaffa prejudice caused by years of dying at the end of their staff weapons...an understandable, but dangerous flaw.

And we humans...well we're a little too eager to go charging off into action...a little too ready to trust people who haven't earned it, a little too likely to turn that trust into anger and hatred when it gets betrayed, and a little too naive of the many dangers that come with fighting the Goa'uld...even now we underestimate the Ashruk and Anubis.  Jack does an admirable job keeping tensions at bay for quite a while, but his own hatred of the Tok'ra makes him the wrong choice to lead a movement toward cooperation.  Jacob and Bra'tac are much better equipped for that task.  All of this gets played out very well within a plot that is both suspenseful and intellectually stimulating.  The end feels a bit maudlin, but Gate writers do tend to like big happy endings, so we'll let 'em slide.

Writing: 9.0

The fact that the viewers don't know what's happening until about 3/4 of the way through the plot makes this episode flow nicely.  The dialogue is unusually strong here as well.

Acting: 9.3

But it's the guest cast - especially Carmen Argenziano and Tony Amendola - that makes this story great.  All of the emotional exchanges come off with perfect pitch, with the possible exception of Artok's few moments.

Message: 7.5

I like the use of our cultural differences to highlight why an alliance is tricky...and I like the honesty of the characterization of Jack, Jacob, and Teal'c in this story...but I think the happy ending rather simplifies a potentially poignant piece.

(Check out the highlights below the cut!)



Highlights:

MALEK: This is the base of the Tauri...why are there Jaffa here?
JACK: Rebel warriors.
MALEK: Jaffa who've turned against the Goa'uld.  I did not realize their numbers have grown to such levels.
CARTER: Hundreds more are operating as a fifth inside the ranks of the Goa'uld.
TEAL'C: Many of these warriors, like you, were forced to flee their rebel base by Goa'uld invasion.
MALEK: (looking displeased) I see.
JACK: Is that going to be a problem for you?
JACOB: Not for us. (riiiight)

O'NEILL
Hey. Hey! What the hell is goin' on? This is a funeral, for cryin' out loud!
ARTOK
I asked a question of this Tok'ra.
OCKER
No one may speak during the ritual.
O'NEILL
For this, you guys are fighting?! I'm sure he's sorry.
ARTOK
I am not.
O'NEILL
On the inside.
OCKER
It does not matter.
O'NEILL
Look, it does not matter. Come on, a lot of people lost their lives. Show a little respect.
[Ocker turns and starts to walk away.]
ARTOK
They are no different than the Goa'uld.

MALEK
We understand the Jaffa.
O'NEILL
Actually, I was gonna remind you that without Bra'tac and Teal'c and other Jaffa, all your little Tok'ra folks would be pushin' up daisies right now.
MALEK
And I need not remind you that the rebel Jaffa and the Tauri are equally indebted to us.
[O'Neill and Teal'c look surprised.]
TEAL'C
How so?
MALEK
We have been fighting the Goa'uld for millennia.
O'NEILL
Yeah. Just when should we expect some progress on that?
[Malek looks insulted.]
O'NEILL
It's been a bad day. Let's…move on.

O'NEILL
(sitting down beside Jacob)
If you say so. What was all that crap at the funeral?
JACOB
I wouldn't read too much into it.
O'NEILL
Why do you guys have to be so dang…
JACOB
Arrogant?
O'NEILL
Yeah, okay.
JACOB
It's complicated, symbiote and host. The blending of two personalities does sometimes have its drawbacks.
O'NEILL
Tell me about it.
JACOB
Jack, there's no denying you had a bad experience. But if you hadn't had a symbiote implanted…
O'NEILL
Ah! Please, don't use that term, huh?
JACOB
If you hadn't been blended with Kanan, you'd be dead right now. By the way, if I hadn't become a Tok'ra, I'd be dead too. Kanan broke one of our highest laws. He used you. I can tell you that even Selmak was sickened by it and there's no way he could have hidden those feelings from me. But Kanan did something terribly wrong while trying to do the right thing. You can't forgive him for that?
O'NEILL
No.
JACOB
It's a shame a true blending never really occurred. You might be able to understand the Tok'ra a little better.
O'NEILL
Oh, I think I understand 'em just fine.
JACOB
You don't like us much any more, do you?
O'NEILL
I like you.
JACOB
I see the Jaffa differently. Most of the Tok'ra hosts come from worlds conquered by the Goa'uld, born into a feudal system where their only choices were forced labour or death.
O'NEILL
So it's the host's fault?
JACOB
It's history. For 2,000 years, every time a Tok'ra died at the end of a staff weapon, a Jaffa was holding it. We just got our asses kicked by an army of Jaffa loyal to Anubis. You think that helps?
O'NEILL
No.
JACOB
There's talk among the Tok'ra ranks that the end is closer than we think. And I don't mean the end of the Goa'uld. I mean the end of us. All of us. The Jaffa rebellion isn't exactly rolling along as well as could be expected either, I take it.
O'NEILL
No. It's not.
JACOB
Then at least we have that much in common.

CARTER
This planet was chosen as our Alpha site because its address is unknown to the Goa'uld.
O'NEILL
And it is imperative that this base remain secret. We will be questioning everybody.
MALEK
Of course.
O'NEILL
Starting with the Tok'ra.
[The Tok'ra look disturbed]
MALEK
For what reason?
O'NEILL
Everything was fine until you showed up. (heh)

JACOB
And the Jaffa.
O'NEILL
Bra'tac?
BRA'TAC
I had hoped it would not come to that.
O'NEILL
Look, if the Jaffa won't submit to the screening after the Tok'ra already have, we're just askin' for trouble.
BRA'TAC
The very purpose of this device questions one's honour.
JACOB
Or you could say it confirms one's honour.
BRA'TAC
It is also of Tok'ra design.
O'NEILL
Oh, come on!
BRA'TAC
I have learned much in my 137 years. Can you look me in the eye and tell me you trust the Tok'ra entirely?
O'NEILL
No. Not entirely. But enough to allow myself to be screened along with everybody else.
BRA'TAC
(bowing his head slightly)
I will convince the Jaffa to submit. You have my word. Perhaps once the Tok'ra see how big Jaffa hearts can be, they will finally look upon us as equals.

MALEK
You killed Ocker.
ARTOK
I would have, if he'd challenged me again.
MALEK
Are you not responsible for this?
ARTOK
I only wish I was.
BRA'TAC
Answer him directly.
ARTOK
I will not explain myself to him.
O'NEILL
Then explain it to me.
[Artok and Malek look at each other aggressively]
O'NEILL
Please.
ARTOK
I was across the compound.
MALEK
I insist that he be screened immediately.
[The tension between Tok'ra and Jaffa is visibly mounting]
O'NEILL
Yeah.
[An SG guard and a Tok'ra approach Artok, who turns around defiantly.]
ARTOK
I will not! I will not!

O'NEILL
All we know is that he is lying about something.
MALEK
What more proof do you need?
CARTER
This device is not infallible. It can give false positives. We've seen it before.
MALEK
A short while ago, you were all willing to stake the security of the base on it.
CARTER
Artok's obvious hostility towards the Tok'ra could be throwing off the readings.
MALEK
His hostility is the reason Ocker is dead.
O'NEILL
What if we verify his alibi?
CARTER
Colonel's right. Maybe someone saw him where he said he was.
TEAL'C
Tok'ra and Jaffa deliberately ate apart from each other.
MALEK
I will not accept the word of a Jaffa in his defence.
O'NEILL
Of course you won't. So, why don't we see what the autopsy says?
MALEK
Why?
O'NEILL
Because we don't convict people just because some damn light turns red!

O'NEILL
Where's Bra'tac?
MALEK
He is dead.
[Suddenly Malek is lying on the ground with Teal'c's hands around his throat.]
TEAL'C
Tell me why I should not kill you here, Tok'ra.
MALEK
(speaking with an effort)
He was swept away. There was nothing I could have done.
TEAL'C
You could have pursued him! Master Bra'tac could have been saved.
MALEK
I believed it more important to report what I saw.
RAK'NOR
How can we ever trust the Tok'ra if they would abandon a Jaffa in the midst of a battle?
MALEK
(speaking with a muffled voice)
If I had not, I would be dead.
[O'Neill waves away a fly.]
JACOB
Jack. A little help.
O'NEILL
(without much conviction)
Teal'c. Stop.
[Malek makes choking sounds. Jacob looks at O'Neill, who is obviously not feeling like stepping in, and walks to Teal'c]
JACOB
Teal'c, don't do this. Bra'tac would want us to stick together.
O'NEILL
(sighs)
He's right, Teal'c.
[Teal'c looks at O'Neill and after a pause releases Malek, who then gasps for air and starts to cough.]

MALEK
I owe you my life, twice over. I only hope that one day I am given the chance to repay that debt. Forgive me.
[Malek reaches out his arm to Bra'tac, who takes it in acknowledgement]
BRA'TAC
(taking the weapon of the Ashrak)
This single blade did what we could not. It has brought us together. This blade has spilled the blood of Jaffa, of the Tok'ra and of the Tauri. By the hand of our common enemy, it has made us brothers. Together, we have ensured it will never spill our blood again.
[Bra'tac throws the blade tip first into the sand.]

No comments:

Post a Comment