Friday, November 18, 2011

Pardon the Interruption: House 8:6 - Parents

Overall: 5.7

You know that episode of Friends in which Rachel tries smoking in order to schmooze with her boss and later complains that cigarettes make her feel sick, to which Chandler responds that she needs to get past that because it's about to get so good? That's how I feel about this show right now. Currently, I'm just powering through in the hopes that the writers will shortly do something awesome.



Plot Synopsis:

FOX.com has a recap here.

The Skinny:

And I don't think my above-mentioned optimism is necessarily misplaced. For one thing, the teaser for next week's episode looks promising. For another thing, House has gone through the doldrums before, and Shore and Co. have always managed to find some way to "unjump the shark."

The shark-jump rewind doesn't happen this week, though. Once again, I found myself not particularly caring about the Patient of the Week or any of the auxiliary stories. Moreover, I think the writers really, really strained to "prove" House's contention that "all parents screw up their kids." Okay -- perhaps the really small group of people who happen to gravitate towards House all struggle with dysfunctions of one type or another, but you certainly can't use that convenient sample to generalize to the entire population. If it's all the same to you, I think my parents were great. Of course, because Mom and Dad were human beings, they had their foibles and blind spots, but I can see no evidence that either SABR Matt or I were fundamentally damaged by their imperfections. Did Mom and Dad rub off on us? Certainly! Did that make us a little "weird"? Yes -- but there's nothing wrong with that. Indeed, I think the fact that we fail to conform in certain ways indicates that we are healthy.

Writing: 6.0

Average, average, average. The House/Foreman conspiracy was the only element that was even remotely "out of the box."

Acting: 7.0

The acting was also merely par for the course.

Message: 4.0

Sheesh! Enough with the anti-family yammering already!

No comments:

Post a Comment