Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Classics: B5 5:19 - 5:21 - Capsule Reviews

We've now hit JMS' extended denouement. Personally, I think the next three episodes could've been cut down to two (or even one) without our losing anything important, but hey -- things are the way they are.

*****


5:19 - Wheel of Fire

Plot Synopsis: Can be found here.

Steph's Comments: If you were wondering why no one noticed Garibaldi's being drunk off his ass for the past few weeks, this episode finally ties up that loose end. And then there's Lyta; probably the most effective scene in the episode is the one in which Lyta forces everyone in the Zocalo to tap their fingers with her awesome - and SCARY - mind control powers. It does make one regret the failure of Crusade, though. Because the aforementioned spin-off never got off the ground, our chances of seeing Lyta's activities and development beyond this point are slim to none.

Steph's Rating: 7.0

*****


5:20 - Objects in Motion

Plot Synopsis: Can be found here.

Steph's Comments: While the good-bye scene between Sheridan and Garibaldi is nice, I can't say I care too much about Garibaldi and Lise and their attempts to wrestle back control of Edgars Industries. We can just stamp a big "meh" on that plot. No -- what interested SABR Matt and I the other day while we were watching this episode was the obvious chemistry between Lyta and G'Kar. We are 100% convinced that the two of them had lots of very kinky sex while they were out exploring the galaxy -- especially given that bit with the handcuffs. G'Kar may be "enlightened," but I'm sure he still nurses a taste for alien women. LOL!

Steph's Rating: 6.5

*****


5:21 - Objects at Rest

Plot Synopsis: Can be found here.

Steph's Comments: I really start to notice JMS's "padding" in this episode. The message Sheridan records for his unborn child, for example, is very sweet -- but also kind of superfluous. Sorry.

A couple of comment-worthy things happen here, though. Naturally, I love Londo's final appearance. Although the Keeper in Londo's ceremonial jar is yet another thing we will never see an on-screen follow-up for, those scenes are still completely awesome. I love Londo's begging for a drink -- and his disappointment when Sheridan states that he left his alcohol behind for Delenn's sake. I love Londo's assuring Sheridan and Delenn that he is still their friend no matter what happens. And I especially love how the director echoes a certain iconic shot from The Long, Twilight Struggle in that final zoom towards Londo's ship. Like I've noted in the past, I could write an entire essay on Londo and his windows.

In the meantime, Lennier's arc also comes to its tragic end. Regarding Lennier's "betrayal", I can see why most fans didn't like that finish. The transition from "I will pine for Delenn from afar" to "I'm going to let Sheridan choke to death" does feel awfully abrupt and out-of-character for Lennier. I'm not sure how JMS could've improved the execution on that one, but I do know that it didn't quite work for me. Alas.

Steph's Rating: 6.5

*****


Next up: Sleeping in Light, which obviously deserves its own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment