Friday, January 6, 2012

Classics: Farscape 3:19 - I-Yensch, You-Yensch

Overall: 6.7

Half of this episode is terrific -- and the other half is really, really annoying. I'll give you one guess as to which plot I prefer.

Plot Synopsis:

The Farscape Wiki has a summary here.

The Skinny:

Let's talk about what I hate first: Sko and Wa. Oh my God, did those two drive me crazy! Due to their ridiculous redneck monkey screeching, 75% of Sko and Wa's dialogue was entirely lost to me. Really, if Rygel, Scorpius, et. al. had been permitted to have their little meeting without that pointless interruption, I - and my eardrums - would've been much happier for it. Good grief!

But now to what I loved: Talyn. If there's a flaw in Talyn's plot, it's that the poor kid's homicidal paranoia comes on without a proper build-up. Still, I'm inclined to be forgiving in this case because the writers use Talyn's breakdown to great effect. Not only do we as viewers feel Aeryn and Crais' genuine sorrow over the prospect of mind-wiping the adolescent Leviathan, but the writers also take this opportunity to bring Moya out of the shadows and give her a voice as well -- and it's a voice that's both poignant and eminently human. Of course Moya would want to protect her mentally ill child -- even if it means taking a few blows herself. That's just what mothers do.

Writing: 6.0

We needed to spend a lot more time with the Leviathans and a lot less time in the restaurant. I was actually tempted to fast-forward through the latter plot, truth be told.

Acting: 7.0

Sko and Wa really bring down the score here. I don't know who it was who decided to make those two squealing buffoons, but said guilty party needs to be taken out back to the woodshed.

Message: 7.0

Plus one for Moya being a mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment