Friday, February 3, 2012

Pardon the Interruption: House 8:10 - Runaways

Overall: 6.5

IT CAN BE NEXT WEEK NAO, PLZ? Next week's episode has the potential to be really awesome. This week's episode, on the other hand, is yet another merely average showing.



Plot Synopsis:

FOX.com has a recap here.

The Skinny:

I think I'll deploy my bullet points with this one:

  • The Patient of the Week: Had a back story that was pretty far-fetched. Teenagers may look like adults, but they aren't adults neurologically. So while it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility that a girl in Callie's position would be able to fend for herself, it's really far more likely that she would get into serious trouble before too long. Regardless of what House thinks, teens do need adult guidance. Trust me -- I work with adolescents on a daily basis, and even when they come from perfectly functional families, they don't always have their heads on straight.
  • The Patient of the Week, cont.: In addition, I think the medicine was quite sloppy here. For example, I fail to see how one would jump from lesions in the esophagus to a berry aneurysm. As far as I know, berry aneurysms are asymptomatic up until they blow.
  • The Patient of the Week, part three: On the other hand, the relationship between Callie and her mother was decently written, and the actresses in question were pretty good.
  • Taub's Subplot: Reminded me of my own father, although Dad used to entertain me by reading articles from Scientific American (as opposed to Sports Illustrated). "And a quark is even smaller than the end of your nose..."
  • Foreman: Is such a screw-up. He was right, of course, to feel uncomfortable with an open affair, but he evidently has no clue whatsoever why that felt so wrong to him. And so, alas, he will continue to bark up the wrong tree on the dating front.

And... that's all I have to say. I wish I could offer up more in the way of commentary, but this episode doesn't inspire verbosity on my part. At this point, I'm just hoping next week's episode is precisely as epic as it looks. At least then, writing my next House review won't feel like such an unpleasant chore.

Writing: 6.0

Meh.

Acting: 8.5

I actually rather liked the guest performers this time.

Message: 5.0

The episode's anti-adult supervision stance is misguided, but not entirely unsympathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment