Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NEW!: Once Upon a Time 1:14 - Dreamy

Overall: 7.0

Based on the "scenes from next week," I was expecting this episode to focus primarily on Kathryn's disappearance -- but what I got instead wasn't necessarily disappointing.



Plot Synopsis:

ABC.com has a recap here.

The Skinny:

Unfortunately, I do have a few complaints. First of all, after an entire episode filled with people shutting their doors in Mary Margaret's face, it's a stretch to propose that she would be kindly welcomed at the festival at the very end -- even if she did successfully sell all the nuns' candles. In the real world, people's attitudes don't just turn on a dime like that; resentments tend to fester. Secondly, although damaging that transformer turned out to be a relatively harmless bit of mischief, the fact remains that Leroy relied on dishonesty to stay in Astrid's good graces -- and do we really want to tell the audience that it's okay to cheat to get yourself out of trouble?

On the whole, though, I enjoyed the episode. Grumpy/Leroy's back story succeeded in holding my attention; you really can't help but sympathize with his frustration and his desire to prove himself worthy of love. And I'm also happy to see that David has now become the prime suspect in regards to his wife's abduction. Yes, I know that Regina is framing the guy, but I still want to see the prince sweat for at least a little while. It's only fair that David now get hit with his own bad karma given how Mary Margaret has been treated over the last few weeks.

Writing: 7.5

The script is decent, but the conclusion is a bit convenient.

Acting: 7.5

The performances were solid, but I don't recall any stand-out moments.

Message: 6.0

As I said above, Leroy's actions at the end are somewhat questionable -- but I'm not really inclined to hit the episode too hard over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment