Wednesday, March 14, 2012

NEW!: Once Upon a Time 1:15 - Red-Handed

Overall: 7.0

The story is getting more and more convoluted -- and whether that's a good or a bad thing is difficult to discern.



Plot Synopsis:

The official site at ABC.com has a recap here

The Skinny:

This week's fairy tale plot - though it was ably written and featured a creative twist at the end (Melding Red Riding Hood and the wolf? Fun.) - fell oddly flat for me due to some performances that rubbed me the wrong way. For example - and I hate to say this - Beverly Elliott (Granny) just wasn't that good in this episode. I can't put my finger on what exactly was wrong with her major scenes, but overall, they felt forced and lifeless.

The Storybrooke plot, meanwhile, raised some fascinating questions. Clearly, the human heart Ruby found in the woods came from the queen's vault, but whose heart is it? And why are Mary Margaret's fingerprints on the box? I mean, Regina obviously put them there as part of an elaborate plot to destroy her long-term rival, but how did she do it? And what in the world is going on with David? Why was he wandering around in the woods, and why did he seem so demented? Is it possible he did call Kathryn before her disappearance and just doesn't remember it because he was in a similar fugue state? Is the queen trying to destroy him too? Hopefully, such queries will be answered soon. While I'm still on board, I know a few people who have expressed frustration with the very gradual unfolding of this series' myth arc.

Writing: 8.0

The writers were laying the groundwork for future episodes here, so I can't really provide an extensive commentary on the construction of the plot. Still, I must give said writers credit for holding my attention.

Acting: 6.0

As I noted above, the acting was the weak point here -- especially in the fairy tale world.

Message: 7.0

Sometimes parents and/or guardians have good reasons for laying down the law. Plus one to the writers for acknowledging that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment