Thursday, December 10, 2009

Classics: DS9 2:24 - The Collaborator

Overall Rating: 8.3

Yet another very strong episode which reaches into the very heart of Bajoran society (hey! I finally get to do a Bajor-centered episode!) and reveals a shocking bit of the history of its most revered spiritual leader.

Plot Synopsis:

The episode begins with a rather disturbing orb vision - the orb of prophecy and change informs Bareil that he is about to face a trial and that he must accept a dangerous gift from the Prophets (in typically Prophet-like vague symbolism, of course). With the images rolling around in his head, Bareil comes to DS9 and shares a bed with Kira while he awaits the election that could soon make him Kai. Kira describes how strongly he is favored in polls of public opinion and thinks he's a shoe-in. Bareil expresses his doubts. Meanwhile, Vedek Winn, has arrived to campaign for her own election as Kai, and tries to persuade Sisko to appear with her before the Vedek Assembly and confirm that relations between them are no longer adversarial. In a rare positive moment for the Prime Directive, Sisko gleefully informs her that Federation policy forbids him to interfere in Bajoran politics and that he would be glad to appear with her in a week or two...after the election. :)

Life on the station is suddenly thrown, however, by the arrival of one of Bajor's leading war criminals - a former secretary of the Bajoran puppet government and a known collaborator by the name of Kubus. Odo greets him "warmly" and then chucks him in the brig. Kira greets him not so warmly and beautifully explains why she feels he can never be allowed to come home as he requests. Then Vedek Winn arrives and, much to Kira's astonishment, pardons Kubus and sends him on his way back to Bajor.

Kira locks down his departing ship and demands answers from Winn - at first she is not forthcoming, but when Kira makes it clear that she can delay Kubis' escape to Bajor indefinitely (and with time ticking on the election - just a couple of days away), Winn grudgingly tells the truth as she knows it. Kubis has information that may implicate Vedek Bareil in one of the worst acts of treason in the entire Cardassian Occupation. Kira naturally assumes Winn is just plotting to destroy Bareil and grab power like she always does, but agrees to be the chief investigator into the matter. Winn, seeming satisfied with the arrangement, returns to Bajor, leaving Kira to question Bareil and do some digging into the story of the Kendra Valley massacre. What she finds is first troubling, then horrifying as leads start pointing to Bareil as the man behind reporting the location of the Kendra Valley resistance camp to Cardassian authorities. As this information becomes public, Bareil steps down from the election to keep it quiet and Kira angrily confronts him. To her dismay, he takes responsibility for the massacre and she leaves him on Bajor - completely destroyed by the confession.

However, things still don't quite add up. Kira continues investigating and realizes that transit logs during the week in question reveal that Bareil was not even in contact with the Assembly at the time of the attack. He couldn't have been responsible for it! Now, even more upset, Kira returns to Bajor and demands the truth from Bareil. The election now over and Winn installed as Kai, he reveals what really happened that fateful day. In fact, it was Kai Opaka (!) who turned in the Kendra valley resistance. She did it to save many more lives, but this information would shake the very core of Bajor's spiritual beliefs and could lead to civil war. Realizing the magnitude of the sacrifice Bareil had made to protect Opaka's good name, Kira forgives him and they pay their respects to the new Kai, leaving the audience quite ready to throw large objects at the TV (no! Not her!!).

Writing: 8.5

This is a bold plot concept relatively well executed - there are several scenes that stand out as exceedingly well-written, particularly involving Winn. However, the script is, on at least a couple of occasions, a little too "on the nose," and no matter how hard they try, the writing team seems unable to manufacture interesting dialogue between Kira and Bareil. Their two confrontations at the end of the episode were weak given the emotional stakes that should have been involved. The show comes across as good but a little on the anti-climactic side to this viewer.

Acting: 7.5

I really...really dislike Philip Anglim in this role. Bareil never impresses me in any of his appearances. I just don't think Anglim is quite "nailing it" at any point. And worse, when he and Nana Visitor kiss, I feel like I'm watching 'Cocktails in Appalachia', because they might as well be brother and sister. YIIIIICCHHHKKK. On the much brighter side, Louise Fletcher (Winn) is still awesome, and they got a good performance out of Avery Brooks (he's always better when he's playing the manipulative bastard, rather than the hammy mad cap'n Benji :) ). Nothing else really stands out, which is probably a good sign.

Message: 9.0

It's nice to watch a Trek series that's written and produced by grown-ups. :) Like Battlestar Galactica (modern), they manage to find lots of creative and unexpected ways to inject three full dimensions into every character, fill every piece of canon history with real complications that are organic to the characters involved, and make us rethink our assumptions. Unlike BSG, however, they do so in ways that don't undermine the overall credibility and redeeming values of the people involved.

Many BSG viewers have expressed frustration about the lack of likable characters on the show...whereas, the principle players in this story, all of whom possessing dirty hands in one way or another, still come off looking like well-meaning good guys. Opaka did something perceived to be evil by her people, but was driven by noble and conscientious motives - the writers managed to avoid painting her as a Machiavellian hero, which is a good thing in my book. Bareil, meanwhile, covered for her to protect Bajor. And Kira, the long time resistance fighter who expresses her strong feelings about collaborators on many occasions (and I think it's only natural for her to be filled with hatred for people like Kubus), is complicit in covering for Opaka in the end because she is capable of seeing the whole person rather than the single act.

Highlights:

WINN: (to a group of school children) Remember, my children; honor the Prophets and they will always love you.
BAREIL: (just arriving) My understanding of the sacred texts is that the Prophets' love is unconditional. That they ask nothing in return.
WINN: Thank you, Vedek Bareil, for reminding us how easily the Prophecies can be misinterpreted. (aw snap!)
BAREIL: You know I enjoy nothing more than to provide you with an opposing viewpoint.
WINN: Somehow you never fail to do that. (hee :) )

KIRA: (annoyed) What brings you to the station, Vedek Winn?
WINN: If I thought the Prophets wanted you to know the purpose of my visit, I'd have informed you in advance.
KIRA: Well, now that you're here, I'll be sure to have Odo increase station security. (ZING!!)
WINN: That won't be necessary, child. I feel quite safe here.
KIRA: Oh no, it wasn't your safety I was worried about.
WINN: Just what are you implying, my child?
BAREIL: I'm sure Major Kira meant no disrespect, Vedek.
KIRA: (smirking) No. None at all. (snerk)

ODO: What's going on here?
EBLAN: See for yourself.
ODO: Secretary Kubus! Last I heard you were living on Cardassia.
KUBUS: I decided it was time to come home.
ODO: Welcome back. You're under arrest. (LOL!)

ODO: This is Major Kira. The highest ranking Bajoran on the station.
KUBUS: Then I suppose you're the one I should be talking to.
KIRA: Make it brief. I don't enjoy...talking to collaborators.
KUBUS: I'm not asking you to like me. I'm simply requesting to be allowed to return home.
KIRA: Your request...is denied.
KUBUS: Major, I don't think you have the authority to make that decision.
KIRA: The decision has already been made. In the Ilvian Proclamation, all members of the Bajoran Occupational Government were sentenced to exile. Your name was number four on that list. Personally...I think you all got off too easy.
KUBUS: Major! I'm an old man. I don't have many years left. What's the harm in letting me live them out on Bajor?
KIRA: When the Cardassians needed a new group of Bajorans to work in their mines, who approved those work orders?
KUBUS: (looking increasingly guilty) The Bajoran Government.
KIRA: Who's signature...was on those forms?
KUBUS: Mine.
KIRA: Now you had to know that those were death sentences. Did you ever once...refuse to sign?
KUBUS: (wracked with sorrow and guilt) No.
KIRA: And that's why you can never be allowed to set foot on Bajor. Because if you do, it will dishonor the memory of every person you sentenced to death. (very good scene here)

SISKO: Vedek Winn. What can I do for you?
WINN: Emissary. It has recently come to my attention that there are those among my people who believe that my relationship with you is not all it should be. Personally, I find such perceptions, however inaccurate, to be most distressing.
SISKO: I suppose the question we have to ask ourselves is...whether or not that impression is inaccurate. (ouch...)
WINN: Don't tell me that you yourself believe that we are...how shall I put it...
SISKO (smiling broadly) ...enemies?
WINN: ...at odds.
SISKO: Ah. Let's see...how could I have come to that conclusion? Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that the last time you were here, you claimed that I was a danger to Bajor - that I was sent to destroy your people and their culture?
WINN: What I meant to say...what I have always maintained...is that you, Emissary, were sent here by the Prophets to challenge our long-held beliefs.
SISKO: Am I correct in assuming that you no longer consider the Federation your enemy?
WINN: Emissary, I admit that I had some concerns about Bajor's application for Federation membership. But now...I see that the Federation's presence here is essential to Bajor's long term security. And growth!
SISKO: Then is it safe to say you support Bajor's request to join the Federation?
WINN: If that is the will of the Prophets, I would never oppose it.
SISKO: (smiling broadly again...you can tell he just LOOOOVES all the gamesmanship here) I'm glad you said that. And I would appreciate it...if you would tell it to the Bajoran people.
WINN: Nothing would make me happier than to please you, Emissary. Perhaps we could appear together before the Vedek Assembly...so that everyone can celebrate our new friendship?
SISKO: What an excellent idea. Perhaps I can fit you in some time next week.
WINN: Why wait, Emissary? I'm sure the Assembly would grant us an immediate audience?
SISKO: I'm sure they would. But, if we appear together in public before the choosing, it might be misconstrued as a vote of support for your bid to become Kai.
WINN: Oh. I doubt that, Commander. It's common knowledge that you support Vedek Bareil. Although I have been pleasantly surprised that you have not made a public statement to that affect.
SISKO: The election of the next Kai is strictly an internal matter to Bajor. As a Federation officer, I would never interfere.
WINN: What an enlightened philosophy.
SISKO: So then, it's agreed! I'll see you some time next week.
WINN: I look forward to it. (I heart this scene so muchly!!)

WINN: Major Kira...may I speak with you?
KIRA: Of course. (they stroll out into the Promenade)
WINN: (angrily) I was told you were the one who stopped my ship from leaving?
KIRA: (casually) Yes, I was. You know, you're the last person I'd expect to be helping a collaborator like Kubus...unless he had something you needed.
WINN: My needs are none of your concern, child. Now I suggest you allow my ship to depart immediately.
KIRA: Oh, you're free to leave whenever you like. Unfortunately, in light of public opinion about Kubus, I can't allow any ship with him on board to leave without a full security check...to rule out sabotage. That includes a full molecular scan to look for nano-technology.
WINN: And how long would such an inspection take?
KIRA: I'm no expect, but I'm sure it could take days. Even weeks. (ROTFL!)

WINN: And if you discover proof of Bareil's guilt...
KIRA: Whatever I find out...I will share with you.
WINN: (gently) Then it's decided. (turning hard) Oh and child, I know you're under a great strain. But if you're wise, you'll never speak to me with such disrespect again! (meeee-oww!)

QUARK: Whatever she told you, I didn't do it!
ODO: Don't worry, Quark, we're not after you.
QUARK: Right...
KIRA: Don't be so defensive, Quark.
QUARK: I can't help it. Between the two of you, I'm developing a persecution complex
ODO: I'm sorry to hear that.
QUARK: What's going on? You want something from me, don't you.
KIRA: How'd you guess?
ODO: It's simple. We've been here for over a minute, and we haven't insulted him, questioned him or arrested him.
QUARK: Exactly! Now what is it you want, and how much trouble is it going to cause me? (LOL)
KIRA: No trouble at all! We just need you to bypass a security seal.
QUARK: Heh...isn't that illegal?
ODO: Hah! Spare us, Quark.
KIRA: This is important, Quark! We need access to some files from the Vedek Assembly.
QUARK: The Vedek Assembly? Great, not only is it illegal, now it's sacrilegious!
ODO: Just do it Quark!!
QUARK: Alright...but I'm going to need a written statement from you, Odo, countersigned by...
ODO: Quark!!
QUARK: Right! When something goes wrong, I'm the guy to take the fall!
KIRA: Nothing is going to go wrong, Quark! (LOL...poor Quark...)

ODO: Strange...Beck and I were passing acquaintances here on the station. From what little I knew of him, he seemed like a good man.
KIRA: A good man does not turn against his own people.
ODO: From what I've observed about humanoid nature, Major...under extreme circumstances even the best of you is capable of doing the most horrible things. (I love foreshadowing...:) )

KIRA: Did you really expect me to never find the truth?
BAREIL: Truth is often hard to recognize, Nerys.
KIRA: I recognize it now. I just have one question. Why did you do it, Bareil? Why did you erase those communication logs?
BAREIL: Don't make me do this, Nerys.
KIRA: I don't have a choice! Winn is waiting to hear from me. Do you really want me to tell her...that you ordered Beck to reveal the location of that resistance cell? That you were responsible for the deaths of those 43 people? That you killed Kai Opaka's son?
BAREIL: (after a long pause where he seems to resolve himself to an unpleasant decision) The Cardassians were determined to eliminate all resistance in the Kendra Valley. If someone hadn't revealed the location of that resistance cell, they were going to massacre every man woman and child in the valley. Over a thousand people would have died.
KIRA: There had to be another way.
BAREIL: I wish there were.
KIRA: I believed in you! I defended you! And Winn was right all along. And now she's going to destroy you.
BAREIL: No. I've destroyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment