Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Classics: B5 2:3 - The Geometry of Shadows

Overall: 9.0

A strong character piece for Vir Cotto and for Garibaldi (though Doyle doesn't really rise to the challenge in portraying that part of the story), and a resounding, glorious depiction of evil, combined with excellent foreshadowing work once again, make this a throoughly enjoyable feature.



Plot Synopsis:

A pretty good synopsis can be found at the Lurker's Guide here.

Stephanie S.'s Ratings:

Writing: 9.5

My personal subtitle for this episode is "Vir Comes Out" because what stands out for me is not necessarily any of the explicit plot lines - as a matter of fact, as I will explain further below, I think Straczynski deserves to be spanked for the Drazi plot in particular - but, rather, the way in which Straczynski quietly sets Vir up as Londo's conscience and a character worth watching more closely.

The first thing Straczynski does is insert Vir into Londo's early scene with Refa. There's no real reason Vir needs to be there - unless, of course, the writer wants us to pay attention to Vir's negative response to what he's hearing. Even the production team is in on the conspiracy to force us to focus on the younger Centauri, as the director takes care to put Vir in the center of the final frame. Then, later, Straczynski allows Vir to voice what he's thinking in this deceptively rambling speech about the eddies and currents of the universe that, in reality, highlights Vir's hidden wisdom. Finally, we have the whole doomed interaction with the technomages, in which Vir - in distinct contrast to Londo - rather boldly faces down Elric's monster and, when Elric tells him to bugger off, actually takes the technomage at his word. In just a few scenes, in short, Straczynski has, with an astonishing economy of expression, revealed several things about Vir: he's brave, he's prudent, and he doesn't like where Londo is going. And Straczynski does this without completely disconnecting Vir from his comic roots. (Vir's pratfall after he gets a taste of Londo's drink is particularly cute.) That's a bit of characterization that I feel outclasses much of what we see in the rest of the series.

Acting: 8.5

The effectiveness of the performances here vary too much to really push this episode into feature range on the acting front. Jerry Doyle only does an okay job conveying Garibaldi's nearly suicidal loss of confidence, and the Drazi actors - likely because of the writing - are all pretty goofy. On the other hand, Michael Ansara's stage presence as Elric is undeniably impressive. And Stephen Furst is absolutely fantastic in his own evolving role; nothing I have discussed above could've worked without Furst's reaction takes - the little flickers of expression that communicate just how uncomfortable Vir is with Londo's scheming. Watch him in that first scene with Refa. I will say right here and right now that in that scene, despite having no lines at all, Furst is the most interesting actor in the room - and that's quite an accomplishment given that Peter Jurasik - also a fine actor - is his competition.

Message: 9.0

Unfortunately, I know what Straczynski intended to say with the Drazi plot in this episode: that wars essentially boil down to fights over "stupid pieces of cloth." This, of course, should strike anyone with even a passing knowledge of world history as utterly ridiculous. Wars have been fought over land, over power, over ideology and religion - and not one of those reasons is so trivial as a fight over colors. Fortunately, whatever the writer intended, it doesn't actually come through on screen, so Straczynski only earns a -1.0 for his stupidity.

Besides, whatever silliness is present in said Drazi plot is far overshadowed, once again, by Straczynski's remarkable understanding of the nature of evil. In the last episode as well as this one, we have seen Londo seeking out some sort of assurance that he is doing the right thing. This portrays perfectly the behavior of the guilty. Although there are a few who face up to their feelings of remorse and seek to atone, it is far more common for fallen man to look for justifications for his evil acts.

SABR Matt's Ratings:

Writing: 9.2

I could slam JMS around for the Drazi color thing, but I actually think my co-author might have been a tad too literal in this case.  The idea of the colored cloth war was to allow the Drazi to get their aggression out in a silly contest rather than fighting over less trivial things that could blow up into civil war.  My reading of it was: sports are good because they focus men's aggression on something trivial.  Granted, the Drazi take their sports a bit too seriously and cause trouble, but one could say the same for American Rodeo or the riots at Soccer games and after a team wins a championship. :)  I don't think JMS was trying to claim that wars are fought for trivial reasons...if he was, then why would his main 4-year plot arc involve a war that's fought over something deeply rooted...IDEOLOGY...between two ancient, advanced races?

So I choose to say BRAVO to the silly Drazi plot...because I actually agree with that theme (sports have been instrumental in civilizing the world and display some of the better qualities of we humanoids - there's a reason they're worth so much money to the market).  The failure, writing-wise, and I'm probably nitpicking a bit here...was in EXECUTING the Drazi plot.  Because my co-author certainly accurately picks up on some of the cornballishness in the dialogue the Drazi characters are given.

Acting: 8.0

I was a little less impressed with the overall acting, mostly because I think the humans and Drazi were just distracting enough to annoy me with their weak performances.  I have nothing to add to Stephanie's comments about Stephen Furst and Michael Ansara.  I was not all that impressed with Refa's portrayal...that particular actor gets better with time, however.

It's a shame, IMHO, that Doyle was not able to carry his character's plot, because it would have had the potential to be among the better uses of the human characters that the show ever produced if it had been executed perfectly.  Garibaldi's failure to stop the assassination of Santiago (and his realization that he is, indeed, vulnerable to personal harm in the line of duty) is the kind of psychological trouble many law enforcement officers face every day...the human characters on B5 are usually just "there"...JMS clearly worked a lot harder to create the blueprints for the vastly more interesting alien races than he did to draw up human characters...but this would have been a nice change of pace.

Message: 9.5

So other than my disagreement on interpretation re: the Drazi plot, I can only say that I agree wholeheartedly that JMS has a good feel for how to describe and recognize evil in his fictional worlds.  Given his background in comic book writing, I cannot say I'm surprised at this...there's a reason the superhero genre is so popular.  People like stories about unambiguous evil vs. real heroism.  Hence the love of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the recent popularity of Iron Man, Spider Man, X Men, etc.  B5 is at its best when the creator plays to his strengths and focuses on the battle between real evil and real truth.

Highlights:

(Dr. Franklin puts pressure on Garibaldi's back.)
FRANKLIN: Does it hurt when I do that?
GARIBALDI: (wincing) No. No, it's fine. I don't... I don't feel a thing.
(Franklin pushes harder.)
GARIBALDI: OW! Hey, hey, hey...
FRANKLIN: I don't like it when my patients lie to me.
GARIBALDI: Well, we could've discussed this. I mean, jeez, what do you do when a patient's late with a bill? Stick needles in their eyes? (LOL!)

GARIBALDI: Sinclair I could trust. This guy? I don't know.
FRANKLIN: If you don't mind my saying so, you didn't exactly sound excited when I mentioned going back to work. Thought you'd be pleased.
GARIBALDI: (lying) Yeah, I - I am. Mostly. See you around.
FRANKLIN: Hey, Michael - wanna talk about it?
GARIBALDI: Doc, what do you want me to say? I got shot in the back by my own guy. My own second in command. He was right there the whole time - a snake in the garden - and I didn't even see it. What the hell kind of security chief am I supposed to be if I can't even see something like that?
FRANKLIN: You can't be expected to know everything.
GARIBALDI: (intensely) Yes, I can. I coulda known, and I should've known. And now, I... I just don't know if I'm any damn use to anyone anymore. You know, I keep asking myself what qualifies me to take back my job -- and I haven't got an answer. I wish to hell I did.

VIR: Ah! Ambassador - there you are. I-I've been looking everywhere for you. The Abbai delegation is waiting to see you. They have an appointment. They want to talk about - (Londo pushes Vir down on an adjacent stool.) Oh! On the other hand, maybe I'll just sit here for awhile. (LOL!)
LONDO: Vir - do you believe in fate?
VIR: Well... actually... I believe there are currents in the universe - eddies and tides that pull us one way or the other. Some we have to fight, and some we have to embrace. Unfortunately, the currents we have to fight look exactly like the currents we have to embrace. The ones we think are going to make us stronger? They're the ones that are going to destroy us. And the ones we think are going to destroy us? They're the ones that are going to make us stronger. Now, the other current - (A nice, subtle warning that is unfortunately cut short.)
LONDO: (finally tired of Vir's rambling) VIR! (Vir jumps.) Yes or no?
VIR: Yes... you know, somewhat. Why?
LONDO: I was thinking about what Refa said before he left. They're looking for a sign back home? Before our first emperor took the throne of the Centauri Republic, he consulted three technomages who gave him their blessing. Now that is an image that is very powerful for those of us who still believe in the old ways. If they want me to restore the Republic, it wouldn't hurt for them to associate me with the emperor. (He thinks.) I will consult them. It will have considerable influence back home. Go to them. Arrange it. I'll be in my quarters.
(Londo leaves. Vir shouts after him - and take note of his instant objection.)
VIR: Londo? I really don't think I want to do this! Londo?
(When Londo does not respond, Vir turns back to the bar, angry. He takes a deep breath to settle himself, then reaches for Londo's drink. After one tentative sip, he downs the whole thing. Then, steeling himself, he starts to go to see to Londo's demand -- and promptly faints. ROTFL!)

(In his quarters, a brooding Garibaldi repeatedly activates his PPG. He is apparently contemplating the unthinkable. There is a door signal.)
GARIBALDI: Yeah, come in.
(Sheridan enters.)
SHERIDAN: Mr. Garibaldi.
GARIBALDI: Captain.
SHERIDAN: I've been expecting you to come by for some time. Since you hadn't, I decided the mountain should visit Mohamed after all. Good to see you on your feet. I talked to Dr. Franklin. He says you can come back to work any time you want. What do you say?
GARIBALDI: I don't know. I don't know if I'm ready to come back... or if you want me to come back. Maybe it would just be easier on everybody if I resigned and moved on.
SHERIDAN: Probably. But the universe doesn't give you any points for doing things that are easy. (And Sheridan pointedly holsters Garibaldi's PPG. Nice.)

(In the technomage corridor. We hear background whispering.)
VIR: Hello?
(Vir walks forward, glancing at the glowing symbols on the wall.)
VIR: I am Vir Cotto, Diplomatic Attache to Ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic! I am told by the people running that way that this is where I can find the technomages! I'm here on behalf of Ambassador Mollari, and I need to speak to someone who's in charge!
(We hear a loud crash.)
VIR: (cowing slightly) Obviously, it would be at your earliest convenience.
(We hear growling coming from the other end of the corridor. Then a great monster emerges.)
VIR: (more desperately, but standing his ground) My name is Vir Cotto, Diplomatic Attache to Ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic! My name is Vir Cotto, Diplomatic Attache to Ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic! My name is -!
ELRIC: (standing on a walk way above) Stop program.
(The monster vanishes in a burst of flame.)
ELRIC: You don't frighten easily.
VIR: I work for Ambassador Mollari. After a while, nothing bothers you. (Heh.)

(In MedLab, after Ivanova has broken her foot.)
IVANOVA: Not exactly an auspicious beginning to my diplomatic career.
SHERIDAN: We learn by doing - and in the process, we're going to fall on our face a few times. Though I didn't think you'd take it quite that literally. (Ivanova gives him a Look.) So - what's your next move?
IVANOVA: Other than sticking the Drazi into a ship and firing it into the sun? (LOL!)

VIR: Then he said, don't come here again.
LONDO: That's it? Unacceptable. You have to go back.
VIR: It won't work. They're not for sale!
LONDO: No? And how do you know?
VIR: It's just something in the way he looks at you - something in his voice. Londo, they're going away. Money doesn't matter to them! Power doesn't matter to them!
LONDO: Money and power always matter.
VIR: Not to them. I don't think it's a good idea to get between them and where they're going! (Vir is beginning to take on that edge that we will see in its mature form a few episodes from now.)

ELRIC: Is this the one who brought us to your attention?
SHERIDAN: Only after I'd heard about your situation at my security briefing.
ELRIC: Captain - you have been used. This... creature has been seeking an audience with me ever since I arrived.
SHERIDAN: Is this true?
LONDO: Absolutely not.
(Elric glowers at Londo and holds out his hand. A smaller image of Vir flashes into existence.)
VIR IMAGE: My name is Vir Cotto, Diplomatic Attache to Ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic! (Then Elric fast-forwards.) My employer requests an audience. (Then the Vir image blinks out.)
SHERIDAN: You were saying?
LONDO: Recording a conversation - a very low thing to do. But in the interest of good relations, I am willing to forgive. I offer the hands of friendship.
(Londo holds out his arms, and Elric takes them.)
ELRIC: I accept. I assume you will not take advantage of this gesture, or... misrepresent it as some sort of endorsement?
LONDO: No, of course not.
(With a glance, Elric destroys Londo's mini-cam. Then he pulls Londo closer.)
ELRIC: (growling) Risky business condemning my recording device while using one of your own!
LONDO: (frightened) I can explain everything...
ELRIC: I do not like to be used. You must learn manners and respect - and from this moment on, you will. (Oh, you tried to game the wrong people, Londo.)

ELRIC: Everyday, you here create greater miracles than the burning bush.
SHERIDAN: Maybe - but God was there first, and He didn't need solar batteries and a fusion reactor to do it.

ELRIC: We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner - holographic demons, invocations and equations. These are the tools we employ - and we know many things.
SHERIDAN: Such as?
ELRIC: The true secrets. The important things. Fourteen words to make someone fall in love with you forever. Seven words to make them go without pain. How to say goodbye to a friend who is dying. How to be poor. How to be rich. How to rediscover dreams when the world has stolen them from you. That is why we are going away - to preserve our powers.
SHERIDAN: From what?
ELRIC: There is a storm coming - a black and terrible storm. We would not have our knowledge lost or used to ill purpose. From this place, we will launch ourselves into the stars. With luck, you will never see our kind again in your lifetime. I know you have your orders, Captain, but I cannot tell you where we are going. I can only ask you to trust us.

(Vir enters Londo's quarters. The lights are flickering, and discordant music is playing in the background.)
VIR: Ambassador?
LONDO: Vir! Ah... (Vir walks over to Londo's computer station.) Look - a holodemon. It's possessed my data system, consuming records, personal files... everything. Twenty minutes ago, it gathered together the pieces of my financial account and cast an equation spell. I now own 200,000 shares in a spoo ranch.
VIR: (covering his ears and grimacing) And that sound - that-that hideous sound!
LONDO: Yes, Narn opera.
VIR: Eeeww! (LOL!)
LONDO: Our friend the technomage has an especially perverse sense of humor. I've got to find a way to stop this.
VIR: You could always... apologize. (Yes! Good for you, Vir!)
LONDO: APOLOGIZE? Never!
COMPUTER: Congratulations. You are now the owner of 500,000 shares of Fireflies Incorporated.
(Londo and Vir are then plunged into complete darkness.)
LONDO: On the other hand... (Heh.)

(Back in the technomage corridor.)
LONDO: Hello? Hello?
(We hear another crash. Londo ducks, then walks forward.)
LONDO: I admit my enthusiasm for-for a personal meeting was... excessive.
(We start to hear the growling of the holo-monster. Londo openly cringes.)
LONDO: And certainly - certainly - the incident with the concealed camera was... regrettable.
(The monster roars off screen.)
LONDO: (still cringing) And I would just like to say that for any misunderstanding that might have grown out of all of this... I... I APOLOGIZE!
(All the bells and whistles suddenly stop. Londo recovers his confidence.)
LONDO: Well. I'm pleased to see that you are a sympathetic and understanding group. I will go now. But if you ever come this way again, perhaps we can do-do business after all, yes? (A beat.) Goodbye!
(When Londo leaves, we see three little demons clinging to his back. Heh.)

(Londo approaches Elric, clearing his throat.)
LONDO: Excuse me. (Elric turns.) I wanted to thank you for your amusing little gift. It took me two hours to repair the damage to my quarters - and I don't think the smell will go away for days. (Elric looks pleased.) Now, if I may ask: does this torment end when you leave? Or am I going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for one little mistake?
ELRIC: Oh, I'm afraid you're going to have to spend the rest of your life paying for your mistakes. Not this one, of course - it's trivial. I have withdrawn the spell. But there will be others.
LONDO: What are you talking about?
ELRIC: You are touched by darkness, Ambassador. I see it as a blemish that will grow with time. I could warn you, of course, but you will not listen. I could kill you, but someone would take your place. So I do the only thing I can - I go. (He turns to leave, but then pauses.) Oh, I believe it was an endorsement you wanted - a word or two - a picture to send to the folks back home confirming that you have a destiny?
LONDO: Yes, it was just a thought. Nothing more.
ELRIC: Well, take this for what little it will profit you: as I look at you, Ambassador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sounds - the sounds of billions of people calling your name.
LONDO: My followers?
ELRIC: Your victims. (OMG, THIS SCENE IS AWESOME.)

1 comment:

  1. So I've been told by my co-author that JMS' personal commentary in the show screenplay-documentation series does indeed state the exact message she depicts.

    This is the great thing about fiction though...it means whatever you want it to mean. I choose to say..."Hey JMS...your intended message makes no damned sense when paired with the rest of your great four-year story. And what came across on screen was more comedic than serious anyway...so...my message is the one I'm sticking with.

    Blood sport (like the old days of the gladiators) is barbaric...but it's better than the alternative (open civil war). The Drazi going around killing each other in an annual ritual game...that's no different than gladiators or rodeo in the days when the contests were deadly.

    ReplyDelete