Saturday, May 8, 2010

NEW!: FlashForward 1:19 - Course Correction

Overall: 5.7

Certain dramatic choices in this episode have disturbing philosophical implications.



Plot Synopsis:

The official recap can be found here.

Writing: 5.0

Simon's plot is pretty muddled here. I think understand what's going on; I think Mark is able to locate Annabelle because, by that point, Simon has already called her captors and told them he's coming with the ring. I also believe that Simon sat on his knowledge in re: Janice being a mole for the same reason he did not reveal that he was "Suspect Zero," namely: he had an interest in hiding how deeply he was involved in the first blackout. These conclusions are awfully dependent on my ability to read between the lines, though, and I think there's a point past which you have shrouded things in a little too much mystery.

As for the other plots -- well, I'll discuss my problems with those story lines below.

Acting: 8.0

I can't say I found anything seriously wrong with the acting, however - at least, not anything that couldn't be blamed on the writing instead. Actually, it's kind of funny: it took me until this episode to finally realize that James Callis is playing the savant -- which means he's done a very good job of distancing this role from his last.

Message: 4.0

This episode's turn away from the defense of absolute free will is troubling. I understand the reason for it from a dramatic standpoint; I understand the writers want us to believe that Demetri in particular is not safe simply because he survived his death date. But it really, really bothers me that no one openly challenges the idea that the so-called "universe" is deciding things for us. I think that's bunk. I also think the text is showing us that that's bunk, but the cues are so subtle that, I feel, it may be too easy for some in the audience to misunderstand.

For example, on the matter of Celia, it seems pretty clear to me that she would not have run into the path of Agent Banks' car if it weren't for the choice Slingerland made to attempt to run Celia over. So why didn't the writers allow Demetri or somebody else to say, "Listen, if Slingerland weren't a sick, twisted bastard trying to commit murder on behalf of the 'universe,' Celia would not have been running for her life -- and would not have run in front of your car. Our choices do matter"? Such a line would've been easy enough to insert, and it would've made me feel much less uneasy about the storyline.

I also deeply resent the writers' attempts to convince me that Lloyd and Olivia are somehow "destined" to be together. I don't find the whole thing romantic. Instead, it reads to me like two guilty people grasping at a convenient justification for their sin. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if someone had actually called them on it? Alas, nothing of the sort takes place -- which means we're left with the impression that the writers approve of this affair. And that to me is pretty morally repugnant.

1 comment:

  1. One major beef I have...Slingerland expresses the opinion that for each new life that enters the universe, another must die. The logical problem is...there are more humans alive today than have ever lived in all previous generations combined. :) This is why reincarnation cannot be a global process that affects EVERYONE. It's NUMERICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

    ReplyDelete