Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pardon the Interruption: House 6:21 - Help Me

Overall: 9.8

The strongest House episode ever produced...or darned...darned close to it.  My faith in the writers to write good House-centric stuff, at the very least, is fully restored.  What a way to end a miserably uneven and boring season!

Spolers behind the cut


Plot Synopsis:

FOX's official recap can be found here.

Stephanie S.'s Ratings:

Writing: 9.0

My co-author's a big Huddy, so he'll be squealing excitedly in his own comments below. My remarks, however, will be a little more tempered. ;)

Don't get me wrong: I believe the scenes between Hanna and House feature some genuine perfect-ten level writing. I was completely bowled over, for example, by the long scene in which, among other things, House and Hanna - both nonbelievers - pray together. There are no atheists in the trenches, as the old maxim says. And House's admission that he made the wrong decision vis-à-vis his leg is a heart and ground-breaking moment.

Speaking of which: some fans have contended that House's statement that his leg changed him contradicts Stacy's second season declaration that it did not. I believe that, canonically, there is no contradiction; I believe the right answer is somewhere in the messy middle between those two extremes. Everything we know about House's early life suggests that he has always been somewhat difficult; the fact that House once inspired his father to give him the silent treatment for a few months pretty much proves that House was never an easy-going fellow. In that respect, I think Stacy is right: the leg did not radically change House's basic temperament and philosophy. On the other hand, I also don't think it's wrong to say that House's chronic pain has worn him down considerably in the years since his infarction. House admits this himself in Detox, and the House we see in the flashbacks in Three Stories is noticeably softer in appearance and behavior. Moreover, some change is also realistic from a psychological perspective; only a superhuman could tolerate pain without succor with total emotional equanimity. So what House says to Hanna is also right - and it's also appropriate to the circumstance. House, after all, is trying to convince Hanna to give up her own leg at that moment; it makes sense that he would emphasize the negatives.

For the most part, the characterization of House here is absolutely pitch perfect. The writers do a fantastic job allowing House to evolve organically, preserving his first impulse to run away from Hanna and her suffering, then pulling him in and gradually building his emotional investment. And House's reaction to Hanna's death is devastating and completely in line with House's usual relentless refusal to accept comforting bromides -- even if they are true.

BUT - and here's where my opinion diverges from my co-author's - I feel the final scene between House and Cuddy falls below the standard set by the rest of the episode. Why? Well, after watching the episode, I immediately checked the net to determine whether the show runners intended for that scene to be real. And that indicates to me that there is something about that scene that I found suspect - something about that scene that I found fundamentally unconvincing. So while I do really love most of this episode - and I do like that the season ended sort of happily for a change - I didn't walk away without reservations.

Acting: 10.0

Any doubts I may have, though, are not in any way the fault of either Hugh Laurie or Lisa Edelstein, who are both amazing in this episode. Hugh's performance in particular once again induces me to rage against the injustice of the Academy's continuing oversight. I also believe that China Shavers (Hanna) is wonderful in her role. She certainly rises to Hugh's challenge; in fact, I believe she's the best guest actress we've seen all season.

Message: 10.0

It's also nice to see House struggling with the concept of sacrifice - of making concessions for the sake of being nice and providing comfort - of thinking about someone beyond oneself. He's slowly - in fits and starts - trading Nietzsche's Übermensch for the notion of Christian surrender. He hasn't quite arrived at the conclusion that kindnesses should be done for their own sake and not for one's own personal reward, but the progress he has made so far is certainly encouraging.

SABR Matt's Ratings:

Writing: 10.0

I would dubmit that if my co-author has doubts about the final scene...they come from the apparent suddenness of Cuddy's change of heart re: Lucas, combined with the sucker-punch the writers dealt us at the end of fifth season.  I would also submit that those doubts, while understandable, are completely unfounded.  What I say now, I do *NOT* say because I have been rooting for House and Cuddy, no matter how much my co-author attempts to paint my reaction in that light.  Cuddy was *NEVER* certain about Lucas.  She hooked up with him originally because she "needed someone she could count on with her child," and not because of any intrinsic quality that Lucas offered.  In "5 to 9" we saw their relationship in action, and, although it had some strengths, Lucas was clearly not an attentive, loving boyfriend.  He was entirely self-motivated at all times, even when trying to do something nice.

I never saw, at any point in their relationship, a moment where Cuddy seemed genuinely happy with Lucas...and in "5 to 9," remember, it was House's wisdom that eventually gave Lisa the strength to make the right call that led to her big win over the insurance company.  House and Cuddy go way...way back...for a reason.  In life, we often make the most abrupt decisions when faced with being forced to make a choice we know we can't undo.  When up against the wall...marry Lucas or cut bait and deal with House...Lisa chose to cut bait...because Lucas wasn't enough for her.  I think that was entirely psychologically plausible and felt completely real to me.

And from House's perspective, we needed to see him hit absolute rock bottom (which, for all of the craziness of 5th season...he never did, because his friends stood by him), and Cuddy telling him he had NOTHING...forcing him to face his problems head on for the first time...and then his patient dying (sorry, House...you don't even have your medical infalibility!)...that was rock bottom...fifty feet of crap...then Hosue.  That was the ONLY way House was ever going to get better...they had a choice...make House completely relapse and then recover again (an angle they've already sort of done post Ketamine) or save him the only way he could be saved.  They chose the latter.

Here's the thing...although House was headed for crisis...as my co-author points out, he wa salso softening philosophically.  Admitting prayer into his dealings with people...confronting his irrational belief that good actions don't lead to a higher self-worth (now...he's not sure...and questioning ones beliefs is the first step toward changing them), admitting he made the wrong choice about his leg, admitting (in previous episodes) that he needs people and real connections...seeking out a connection with his biological father!...talking to his dead non-biological father!...I could go on...NOW...I would submit that he is READY TO BE SAVED.  Now...is when he and Cuddy as a serious couple could be explored.  As messed up as he is...he knows he needs Cuddy and that is a major first step.

I would also like to add that the direction was a cut above special...the way the episode was filmed, scored, and produced was just MASTERFUL.

Acting: INFINITY!

There is no number appropriate to describe how unbelievably compelling, emotionally effective, technically masterful, and artistically brilliant Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein and China Shavers were here.  I literally burst into tears (and that does not happen to me much...if I'm going to cry watching a movie or TV show, it requires a long emotional build-up) when I saw House's face after Cuddy smashed his world into a billion pieces with her "you have NOTHING" speech.  I was blown away...there's no other way to describe it.

Message: 10.0

I am now, finally, satisfied that, at least for Cuddy and House, the writers understand the necessity for House's basic philosophy to change before therapy stands the slimmest of chances of working.  The last two episodes are the perfect combination...Hosue, the slowly changing but still ardently hardened man balks at therapy, beacuse he's right...it's not working and can't work in his current condition.  Then his world gets destroyed and he is finally truly ready to be remade in a new image.  I am a romantic at heart...I believe that, sometimes, all a person needs to change and realize his/her true potential to do good in this world, is for someone to love them unconditionally.  Cuddy's admission at the end of this episode is among the most romantic/Christian things I've ever seen on TV.  "I love you, House...I recognize how screwed up you are, and I still love you."  That's the message I've been absolutely dying to hear since DAY ONE with this show.

Highlights:

HOUSE: Hope I didn't weird you out by giving you that gift.
CUDDY; Can we talk about this later?
HOUSE: Of course. (A beat.) Is now later? (Cuddy shoots him a Look.) Maybe things aren't going so well with Lucas. If so, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to step into anything.
CUDDY: There's no problems. We're doing just great.
HOUSE: So why the weirdness?
(Cuddy calls someone over to help, then pulls House off to the side.)
CUDDY: When I opened it, I didn't think it was a housewarming gift. I thought... it was an engagement present.
(House looks stunned.)
CUDDY: It just happened last night.
HOUSE: No wonder you wanted to hide this from me... since I'm such a delicate flower.
CUDDY: I didn't know what to say. And I've been distracted.
HOUSE: That might make sense... except you're not wearing the ring. So... you are hiding it, which begs the question...
CUDDY: (grabbing House by the arms) House, it's in my office drawer because I knew I was coming here. It's not weird. There's no mystery. I'm just getting married.

CAPTAIN: It's time to discuss amputation.
HANNA: No.
CUDDY: Please listen to me: you've been down here almost two hours. By the time they clear away the rubble...
HOUSE: We are not cutting off her leg. You don't have to rush through this just to make his job easier.
CAPTAIN: You kidding me?
CUDDY: We leave the leg pinned, we're risking Crush Syndrome!
HANNA: What's that?
CUDDY: Your leg isn't getting enough circulation. The longer it's pinned, the more the muscle dies.
HANNA: So what does that mean, like a limp?
CUDDY: Dying muscles release poisons. We free your leg, the poisons could rush back into your system. It could stop your heart.
HOUSE: (with contempt) So could cheeseburgers. Just get your lazy friends to start moving that pile. She's got two more hours before Crush Syndrome could possibly set in.
CAPTAIN: We're digging up there by hand. I can't guarantee we can get ten tons of debris pulled off in two hours!
HANNA: Well, you need to try! It's my leg. (House looks at Hanna with new-found respect.)
CAPTAIN: It's not just Crush Syndrome you gotta worry about, okay? There's gas leaks, there's fire, and we can never rule out secondary collapses no matter how much we shore this thing up.
HOUSE: You think chopping off someone's limb inside a pile of dirty rocks is safe? Sepsis, fat embolism, hemorrhage...
CAPTAIN: Those risks are nothing compared to the risk of this thing coming down again!
CUDDY: Captain... he's a jerk... but it's what the patient wants.

HANNA: You only came back because I freaked out. Right?
HOUSE: Not at all. I just realized how big and scary the world is and how cozy and safe this little place is.
HANNA: Thank you. I'm sorry I needed you.
(At that, House pauses, looking a little guilty. He takes out his cell phone.)
HOUSE: Here. Call your husband.

HOUSE: See, this is why I lied about the phone. Your BP's spiking, which means you're bleeding faster from your leg wound, which means we'll have less time to save it. Hang up.
HANNA: Okay - okay, they're telling me I have to go. (Hanna hangs up and gives the phone back to House.)
HOUSE: That was stupid of me.
HANNA: It was nice.
HOUSE: I don't see that as a contradiction.
HANNA: He was already on his way. He was in Baltimore, and they also heard it on the news. How many people were hurt?
HOUSE: What did I tell you about not raising your blood pressure?
(House starts to rub his leg.)
HANNA: Can I ask what's wrong with your leg?
HOUSE: Crane fell on it. Small world.
HANNA: (laughing) You could've just said no.
HOUSE: I'll remember that for my next human contact.
HANNA: Would you pray with me?
HOUSE: No. I'm not in the habit of encouraging my patient's superstitions.
HANNA: How is that a habit? You plan on getting trapped under a building again?
HOUSE: I don't believe in God.
HANNA: I don't either. Please?
(They pray. And that's seriously the most amazing thing Stephanie S. has ever seen on this show.)
HANNA: I always thought... if I did the right thing... if I treated people right, then good things would happen to me. You think that's how it works?
HOUSE: Didn't used to. Then recently, I tried... and now I don't know.

CAPTAIN: Bad news. Because of the collapse, we can't try the airbag again until we get the stuff off the top. It'll be five, six hours at least.
CUDDY: Then we have to amputate.
HOUSE: No.
CUDDY: It's been four hours already. It used to be a long shot. Now it's crazy.
HOUSE: Crush Syndrome is basically a build up of potassium. If you remove potassium...
CUDDY: We're already treating with sodium bicarbonate.
HOUSE: Not with glucose and insulin. There's glucose in the kit. There's gotta be a diabetic here somewhere.
CUDDY: You want to dose the insulin here, in a non-hospital setting? That is insane! It's not worth it.
HOUSE: Really? Because I think I'm the only one here who knows what a leg is worth! Fortunately, you're not the one in charge. He is. And he knows I'd testify against him in court if Hanna sues for cutting off her leg without exhausting every option.
CUDDY: (to the Captain) Give us a minute?
(The Captain leaves.)
CUDDY: I know you're angry, but please - don't put her life at risk just to get back at me.
HOUSE: Really? Wow - so this is all about you now...
CUDDY: You took her side against me right after you heard about my engagement.
HOUSE: Yeah, that must be it. It's not that you're a pathetic narcissist.
CUDDY: I don't love you. So just... accept it and move on with your life instead of making everyone miserable.
HOUSE: Just great. A life lesson from a middle-aged single mom who's dating a man child.
CUDDY: Screw you. I'm sick of making excuses for you. I'm sick of other people having to tiptoe around you and make their own lives worse to try to keep you from collapsing. I'm done. (She leaves.)
HOUSE: Fantastic! Just stay away from my patient!
CUDDY: (turning) What are you clinging to, House? You're gonna risk her life just to save her leg? It really worked out well for you, didn't it? What do you have in your life? Honestly, tell me! I'm moving on. Wilson's moving on. And you? You've got nothing, House. Nothing. (A beat.) I'm going down there, and I'm gonna convince her to let me cut her leg off. If you have any decency left, you'll stay out of it.

HANNA: It doesn't hurt right now. I can wait. (House crawls into the void space.) Dr. House - tell her.
HOUSE: Hanna... (There is a very long pause.) We have to amputate your leg.
HANNA: No. You said... that there was time.
HOUSE: There was - and it's run out.
HANNA: No.
HOUSE: You asked me what hurt my leg. I had a blood clot, and the muscle was dying. I had all these doctors telling me I should amputate, and I said no. They did this... very risky operation. I almost died.
HANNA: But you saved your leg.
HOUSE: I wish I hadn't. They cut out a chunk of muscle about the size of my fist and left me with this... mutilated, useless thing. And I'm in pain everyday. And it changed me. It made me a harder person - a worse person. And now... now I'm alone. (Another long pause.) You don't want to be like me. You've got a husband that loves you. You have friends. You could start a family. You have a life. And this? This is just a leg.

FOREMAN: There's no way to prevent a fat embolism. Even if you'd done this in an OR, you couldn't have saved her.
(House wordlessly gets out of the ambulance. Later, we see him walking through the darkened lobby.)
FOREMAN: You can't blame yourself for her death. This wasn't your fault.
HOUSE: THAT'S THE POINT! I did everything right, and she died anyway! Why the hell do you think that would make me feel any better?
(House starts to walk away from Foreman, then doubles over in pain.)
FOREMAN: You shouldn't be alone right now. You're bleeding.
HOUSE: (intensely) I'm gonna give you a task as an employee: get out of my way.

(After House has broken into his super secret stash.)
HOUSE: You gonna leap across the room and grab them out of my hand?
CUDDY: No. It's your choice if you want to go back on drugs.
HOUSE: Okay. Just so you know, I'm finding it hard to see the downside.
CUDDY: You need to re-bandage your shoulder.
HOUSE: Is that why you're here? Foreman sent you?
CUDDY: No.
HOUSE: You gonna yell at me again?
CUDDY: No.
HOUSE: Well, I'm running out of ideas.
CUDDY: Lucas...
HOUSE: Oh, great. You're feeling uncomfortable again. Probably means you just got back from a quickie wedding in Vegas - or you're already pregnant.
CUDDY: I ended it.
HOUSE: (shocked) What?
CUDDY: I'm stuck, House. I keep wanting to move forward - I keep wanting to move on, and I can't. I'm in my new house with my new fiance, and all I can think about is you. I just... need to know if you and I can work.
HOUSE: You think I can fix myself?
CUDDY: I don't know.
HOUSE: Because I'm the most screwed up person in the world.
CUDDY: I know. I love you. I wish I didn't - but I can't help it.
(Cuddy helps House up, and they kiss tentatively.)
HOUSE: How do I know I'm not hallucinating?
CUDDY: Did you take the Vicodin?
HOUSE: (looking down at the pills in his hand) Nope.
CUDDY: Then I think we're okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment