Monday, June 7, 2010

Classics: BtVS 2:19 - I Only Have Eyes for You

Overall Rating: 7.2

Typically, Joss Whedon's group of writers demonstrate a better ability to execute when they've got a powerful message like the one they attempt to convey in this story. Unfortunately, in this case, we've got an episode pregnant was possible impact but laden with mediocre acting performances, annoying gender stereotyping and a script that lacks subtlety.

Plot Synopsis:

A good synopsis can be found here (thanks to BuffyGuide.com)

Writing: 5.0

For a show with such high aims (you can tell the writers intended for this one to be a heavy hitter like "Passion"), this one is severely lacking in high impact dialogue. The presentation is outstanding, but good music, clever direction and well-placed artistic touches can't hide a boring script with only a few big moments. It was a nice effort putting Buffy and Angel in the final climactic confrontation, but it falls flat because the writer (Marti Noxon) can't make a realistic connection between Buffy's romantic entanglement with Angel and the story of Ms. Newman and James ca. 1955. It winds up feeling forced.

Acting: 7.5

Oddly, Sarah Michelle Geller is not the reason the acting score falls a tad below the normal marks earned by this franchise. She has tended to be my whipping boy (er...for lack of a better term), but this time, she's actually the STRONGEST link. Both when enthralled by James' spirit and when cursing his name and wishing him an eternity of pain and torment. The problems in this episode begin with David Boreanez (who was, quite frankly, VERY poor while playing Ms. Newman) and, strangely, Tony Head (!)...as unconvincing as I've ever seen him while attempting to persuade us that he believed Jenny Calendar was the poltergeist. He wasn't entire off...his depressed reaction when his theory was proven wrong, and his heartfelt moment with Willow at the start of the episode were outstanding. The guest cast (other than James Marsters and Juliet Landau) doesn't do much to convince us of the real drama of the tragic love story which ends tragically on screen three separate times either.

Message: 9.0

It's a hard lesson for most of us to accept...but forgiveness isn't about justice - the world is simply better when we can forgive those who have wronged us. As Giles beautifully puts it - we don't forgive because someone deserves it but because they need it...and frankly, we do too (as Buffy appears to learn at the episode's conclusion). Holding grudges doesn't do you, your enemies, or your friends any good...it just makes the world worse for everyone. In this case, the need for forgiveness fuels tragic deaths of innocent people and traps two souls in sorrowful purgatory for half a century. The execution may have been a little weak, but the message is still clear enough to warrant applause. A minor hit for painfully oversimplified gender stereotyping (based on the violence of this poltergeist, it MUST be the guy! Lord knows, women are never violent!) but otherwise, this one is a keeper.

Highlights:

WILLOW: Giles! I made them laugh! I kicked butt - I mean...I did the whole joke thing. Did you see? (aw...enthusiastic Willow is so cute)
GILES: Yes...so it would seem. I mean, yes...you did indeed. Good show.
WILLOW: So what can I do for you?
GILES: I came by to see if you needed any help, but you seem to have things well under control.
WILLOW: Well I had good lesson plans. Ms. Calendar - had them on her computer.
GILES: Yes well - ehm - she was...dedicated.
WILLOW: And I found a bunch of files and websites on paganism and magic...it's really fascinating.
GILES: Oh?
WILLOW: And I found this in her drawer. It's a a rose quartz stone - Ms. Calendar said it had healing powers. I thought she'd want you to have it.
GILES: (getting choked up) Thank you Willow...that's very thoughtful of you.

XANDER: OK - so we know who it is. But what does it want? Why is he doing this?
GILES: Well, trapped spirits act out while attempting to resolve whatever issues are keeping them here...
BUFFY (interrupting): He wants forgiveness.
GILES: Yes...I imagine you're right, Buffy. But every time he appears, his victims play out his final moments. He's trapped in a sort of purgatory - doomed to kill his Ms. Newman over and over again. Forgiveness is impossible.
BUFFY: Good. Because he doesn't deserve it.
GILES: (deeply troubled) To forgive is an act of compassion, Buffy. We don't do it because people deserve it, we do it because they need it. (I TOTALLY missed this message the first time I watched this episode...I must not have been paying close enough attention back then - my reaction has changed dramatically as a result)
BUFFY: No! I'm sorry, but he destroyed the one person who he loved the most! That's not something you can just forgive! It's just something he has to live with.
XANDER: He can't live with it, Buffy. He's dead. (Buffy, no ready to hear this message, storms out)
CORDELIA: Boy - over-identifying much?

GILES: Feeling any better?
BUFFY: James picked me, Giles. I guess I was the one he could relate to. He was so sad...
GILES: Well they can both rest now.
BUFFY: I don't know. I guess part of me still doesn't understand why she would forgive him.
GILES: Does it matter?
BUFFY: (resigned to a painful lesson) No - I guess not.

No comments:

Post a Comment