Thursday, June 17, 2010

Classics: DS9 3:24 - Shakaar

Overall: 7.2

A libertarian outing that is marred by a middling script.

Plot Synopsis:

A summary can be found here courtesy of Memory Alpha.

Writing: 6.5

Here's the issue I have with the writing in this episode: it's rather shallow. No one is allowed to argue his or her case convincingly, which means no one comes up smelling like roses. We all know Adami means "power-hungry" in Bajoran, but come on: Winn's actions here strike me as a colossal over-reaction even for her. And as for Shakaar? Well, my inner libertarian is inclined to take Shakaar's side (especially when Winn sends in the shock troops), but even he comes off as overly stubborn and provincial. This problem, I think, could have been corrected with some amendments to the existing dialogue. For example, why not have Shakaar outline for Kira some more specifics on the situation in Dahkur Province? Making vague pronouncements that "feeding our people here" is more important does little to help me, the viewer, understand why economy-spurring agricultural exports should be completely shoved to the side. Are we dealing with a genuine famine here? Give me numbers. Give me a "do you know how many children are suffering from malnutrition in these hills?" speech. Give me something that will illuminate the particulars of this dilemma, or you, writer, will risk losing my interest.

Acting: 7.5

I would also like to know why it is that Kira is continually paired with men who are as dull as dirt. Fans used to call Shakaar a "tree trunk" for a reason, and it's because Duncan Regehr has zero chemistry with Nana Visitor -- and measuring his charisma requires the use of negative integers. This is the guy who held a struggling resistance cell together? I'm sorry, but Regehr just does not adequately convey the power and edge implied by that history. On the other hand, Louise Fletcher puts in her usual good performance, and I adore Diane Salinger and William Lucking (Lupaza and Furel).

Message: 7.5

Because the writing is pretty mediocre, I can't get too excited when it comes to the theme of this episode. It is undeniably libertarian in tenor, though. Let's see: we have a government that fails to keep its promises, we have a local leader and protagonist facing a desperate situation who is sick of having to give in to said government, and we have an antagonist who is willing to bring about the "collective good" at the point of a gun. Wait -- did we jump into the Firefly-verse by mistake?

Highlights:

KIRA: I can't shake the feeling that giving Winn control of the government is a mistake and she should be stopped.
ODO: Stopped from doing what?
KIRA: I don't know. Maybe... maybe I'm afraid that if she's given power, she's never going to let go.
ODO: Unfortunately that suspicion is not shared by the people of Bajor. They still admire her as the woman who made peace with Cardassia.
KIRA: Bareil made peace with Cardassia.
ODO: I know that, Major. But to the rest of Bajor, Winn is the real hero. In their eyes, it took courage for her to conclude a treaty with a race that she herself had so bitterly condemned and fought against.
KIRA: I don't care what her popular image is. She's no hero. The only thing that she cares about is her own power. Why can't people see that? We spent so many years fighting the Cardassians. We spent so much time hoping and praying for a Bajor that was free. Now that we won, how can people just hand their freedom over to someone like Winn?
ODO: It has been my observation that one of the prices of giving people freedom of choice is that sometimes they make the wrong choice. (Hah! This scene feels particularly relevant right now.)

KIRA: Furel, if you don't mind my asking, why haven't you...?
FUREL: Had my arm replaced? Well, I thought about it. I even saw a Federation doctor about it. She said, 'No problem, Furel. You can have a new arm in less than a week. It'll have full range of motion and feel just like your own.'
KIRA: So why didn't you do it?
FUREL: Before I went into that interrogation center, I asked the Prophets to give me the strength to get the rest of you out of there. And in exchange, I said I'd give up my life. As it turned out, I was able to rescue you, Shakaar and Lupaza... and it only cost me an arm. I felt the Prophets were generous. Somehow... replacing the arm seems ungrateful. (Nice.)

SHAKAAR: I'm here to enter the election as a candidate for the office of First Minister.
WINN: You have an interesting sense of humor.
KIRA: It's no joke. Shakaar is going to enter the election, and you are going to lose.
LENARIS: I've consulted with the other army commands, and he has their full support.
WINN: So this is a coup?
KIRA: No, it's a free election. If you want to run, go ahead. But if you do, this entire incident is going to be made public. And when the people know the real facts - when they know you risked a civil war over a couple of pieces of farm equipment - they're never going to trust you again. You'll still be Kai, the spiritual leader of Bajor - but your days in this office are numbered. (Mwah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment