Friday, January 28, 2011

Classics: Farscape 1:13 - The Flax

Overall: 7.0

John/Aeryn shippers slobber all over this episode, but I think it's just okay.

Plot Synopsis:

Farscape World has a recap here.

The Skinny:

John and Aeryn are alone and in peril. Their atmosphere is running low. They're sure their friends won't get to them in time. So what do they do? They decide they must act on their Unrequited Sexual Tension - it's Now or Never! - and start ripping off their space suits. No, really. Watching the main plot of this episode is like surfing through TV Tropes and Idioms on a slow day. I'll grant that it is mildly entertaining, but it's also somewhat disappointing given that Farscape often makes a point of subverting the old cliches. Indeed, this very episode features a gender-bending guest alien who flies in a ship that is apparently powered by steam. Obviously, the writers could've made their romantic plot a little less pedestrian if they had chosen to do so.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing in particular against John/Aeryn. It's just that their kiss in this episode doesn't do it for me. On the other hand, I do like that Rygel gets to use his talent for deceit to save the day -- and as I implied above, I love Staanz. The Farscapian creativity and fun is here, but unfortunately, it fails to rescue this episode from its relative mediocrity.

Writing: 7.0

As I said, we can see the Farscape brand in some bits, but the main story is pretty dull when you get right down to it.

Acting: 8.0

I don't have a problem with the acting, though. As a matter of fact, I'm rather sad that Rhys Muldoon never reprised his role.

Message: 6.0

There's nothing to report here, I'm afraid. If the writers were attempting to hit upon any larger themes, they hid it quite well.

Highlights:

Zhaan: Will you stop playing with that?
Rygel: I will play this game for as long as I like!
Zhaan: GIVE IT TO ME! You are - (Just then, an ear-melting squeal cuts their bickering short.)
D'Argo: (howling in pain) PILOT!
Pilot: (ironically) So sorry. I appear to have hit the wrong comm.
Zhaan: You desired our attention, Pilot? (ROTFL! Pilot for the win! I love that we're seeing more and more of his personality.)

Staanz: (to D'Argo) The Flax is huge. There's bound to be another Luxan ship stuck in there somewhere. I thought... maybe we could go and look for it... (pitifully hopeful as D'Argo approaches) Together?
D'Argo: We go together? Hmph!
Staanz: I'm lonely. Everybody needs a mate, Ka D'Argo. Even you.
John: A mate?
Staanz: I am the female of the species. You know that, don't you? In fact, false modesty aside, I am considered quite the Zenetan beauty. (He She graces D'Argo with a winning smile.)
John: (teasing) You know, big guy, I think I'd better give you two a little time alone here. 'Cos you know, in a universe this vast, when two hearts collide --
D'Argo: Shut up! (LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment